• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flicker caused by blacks in image that LRTimelapse does not fix

#1 kwhi02
Hi, Slightly odd one. I've got a sequence filmed from a helicopter. Occasionally the rotters appear in the top of the frame. The issue is the black rotters are the darkest part of the image and for some reason change the exposure for the rest of the image. Demo here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16jISV9...p=drive_fs

The best solution I've found is to clone them out in LR, but this is a headache. Wondered if there was a better way or is a certain slider in LR is making the issue worse?

Thanks
#2 Gunther
Please check out the Expert Tips Video #5, this is a similar situation.
https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/expert/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 kwhi02
great - thanks
#4 kwhi02
Ah spoke too soon. So in some examples even if I turn off all adjustments, crop out the heli blades entirely then run multi-pass deflicker it's still noticeable in the dark areas. Happy to send over some sample files if they'd be of interest.
#5 Gunther
It's the Adobe Camera Raw develop engine, unfortunately there is not too much I can do about. It's a shame that it even parts of images that are not inside the crop affect the editing.
Fortunately, most sequences don't have such elements as yours, it's an unfortunate case I guess.

What often helps is to render out with quite a lot of "Motion Blur" applied in the LRT Render module, this will crossfade adjacent images and might ease those effects.
#6 kwhi02
Thanks Gunther,

You’re right, the issue is Adobe Camera Raw so the solution is to convert to DNG from Lightroom then process and grade in resolve. Flicker gone. Not the ideal workflow but problem solved. Resolve is becoming more and more of my workflow.
#7 Gunther
I don't think that is a good workflow. Converting a Raw to DNG only will wrap it into a DNG container. That way you leave the Raw conversion to Resolve, which is not ideal because the Raw converter there is way inferior to Adobe Camera Raw and you loose lots of editing options.

My suggestion would be to learn how the Adobe Camera Raw Raw Converter works, which tools have some limitations and especially learn how to shoot and expose the right way so that you don't run insto that limitations.
In your case that would be using longer exposure times to blur the heli blades or try to don't have them in the frame at all.

That way (like most of us work), you'll get perfect results from the LRTimelapse / LR workflow and way superior results as if you would work only in Resolve as you suggested. Don't take me wrong: I love resolve and use it for all my Video post processing - but the Raw converter really has a lot to catch up... :-)

...also check out: