• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flicker GoPro d/t White Balance

#1 anna
On my trip to the south west of USA I used also the GoPro Hero3 black for time lapses.
The big problem is: everything is automatic - at least at that time I couldn't set the White Balance to CamRaw for Photos (and CamRaw sets anyway the WB automatically) .
This means that I get deflicker even after the two-pass deflicker method with LRT. I suppose that the deflicker in this case is due to the automatic changing of the color temperature settings during the time lapse. It doesn't seem to be an exposure flickering.
Looking at the curves in LRT they seem to be ok but when I export the film with the LRT templates it flickers and the color space of the film seems to be different to the edited JpEgs in LR.
Also noticing that in the second half of the film (the last 10 seconds) there are no flickering issues.
Does anybody has an idea how to solve the problem?

Here is the link to the exported film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_hEVORus...e=youtu.be

I attach also screenshots from LRT first pass and second pass deflicker (according to Gunthers ebook)

Thanks!
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Ulli
Obviously there's flickering - I used the Gopro 2 several times for timelapse without such problems. In your case it's even more remarkable because there's a blue sky without a single cloud.
No idea what's the reason for the flickering but it looks like no problem for LRTimelapse to deflicker. In the Screenshots I see different values for Whitebalace and some keyframes - you should process all pictures the same and use LRTimelapse only for teh deflicker.
#3 anna
(2013-09-23, 14:38)Ulli Wrote: Obviously there's flickering - I used the Gopro 2 several times for timelapse without such problems. In your case it's even more remarkable because there's a blue sky without a single cloud.
No idea what's the reason for the flickering but it looks like no problem for LRTimelapse to deflicker. In the Screenshots I see different values for Whitebalace and some keyframes - you should process all pictures the same and use LRTimelapse only for teh deflicker.

Yes it is blue sky in the direction I pointed the camera but there were clouds in front of the sun passing which could have influenced the automatic white balance. Also the sun gets into the field of view at the camera at the end.

I thought also that there should be no problems for deflicker but I am not sure if LRT can smooth only exposure deflicker or also sudden changes in the color temperature (white balance).

The changes in values for the WB are because I let LRT to animate them - I wanted the scene colder towards the end. But even if I don't animate the lapse with LRT and use only the deflicker function - it doesn't work.

I add also a screenshot with the sequence initialized - there are at the beginning jumps in the ISO. The difference is not that big for most of the pics but I notice that there are jumps from ISO 197 to ISO 100 - that is double! Should I treat this jumps as a Holy Grail sequence?
#4 Ulli
No, you can't treat them als HG because of the automatic exposuring - I'm sure that at the same time the exposure time has changed so there's no 1EV change. The GoPro can change the exposure in smaller steps then a DSLR. I've a sequence with 263 pics - all at ISO 100 but with 10 different exposure times from 1/7000 to 1/2600s in 1/1000 steps.
LRTimelapse measures only the brightness of a defined area, the deflickering process is not able to correct white balance.
#5 anna
(2013-09-23, 16:53)Ulli Wrote: No, you can't treat them als HG because of the automatic exposuring - I'm sure that at the same time the exposure time has changed so there's no 1EV change. The GoPro can change the exposure in smaller steps then a DSLR. I've a sequence with 263 pics - all at ISO 100 but with 10 different exposure times from 1/7000 to 1/2600s in 1/1000 steps.
LRTimelapse measures only the brightness of a defined area, the deflickering process is not able to correct white balance.

Thanks Ulli, I was afraid of that....
I have only two exposure changes from 1/303 to 1/900 and two ISO jumps, from 200 to 100 - should be no problem for deflickering it but I analyzed the jpegs and there is a change in WB unfortunately. I have also another sequence made with the GoPro at a different location and there are no flickering issues. Hmm, I guess it is all about luck with GoPro time lapses.
#6 Gunther
I exeperienced that problem with the gopro as well, White balance "flickering" is sometimes really bad - unfortunately there is no way to correct that automatically, so your approach to setting keyframes manually and trying to correct the whitebalance that way might be the best option you have.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#7 anna
(2013-09-23, 17:02)gwegner Wrote: I exeperienced that problem with the gopro as well, White balance "flickering" is sometimes really bad - unfortunately there is no way to correct that automatically, so your approach to setting keyframes manually and trying to correct the whitebalance that way might be the best option you have.

Yes Gunther, I just started. Working on two screens, one one looking at the curves in LRT and on the other taking frame by frame in LR to correct WB. I like the landscape too much to give it up (and the pain to capture it in that wilderness...)

Thanks fot the help, now I know where the problem is at least.
#8 Gunther
Next time use a DSLR - it's worth it - especially if you capture great sceneries with big efforts...
Alone the RAW editing capabilities totally pay off... (I for myself do not use the gopro for timelapse anymore)
#9 anna
(2013-09-23, 20:21)gwegner Wrote: Next time use a DSLR - it's worth it - especially if you capture great sceneries with big efforts...
Alone the RAW editing capabilities totally pay off... (I for myself do not use the gopro for timelapse anymore)

Of course my main tool is a DSLR. It was just that Claus' Canon died exactly one hour before and I had to give him my second Canon. So while I was taking a lapse with my main DSLR I thought to make the second intended with the GoPro in lack of a spare DSLR.
#10 Gunther
Sorry Anna, didn't realize that was you writing Wink

...also check out: