• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flicker/Transition Issue

#1 johnbedwards@comcast.net
Hi Gunther,

Sorry to bug you, but for some reason I am having trouble with the new Time-lapse program (5.7.2). Or is this is an issue with the latest Lightroom (11.0.1)?

I have used your program hundreds of times over many years (thanks, I love it). But for some reason it is not working as well this week as I was working on six different Timelapse’s (sunrises, sunsets, and a moon rise). I shot the sequences with the same camera's (Nikon D850/D5), and everything else the same. But for some reason each of my transitions for all six sequence flicker at the point of the exposure adjustments made during capturing of each sequence. Visual deflicker helps, but it is clear that there is an issue I have not seen before with the exposure transitions (Auto Transitions) or maybe related to the latest Lightroom (11.0.1)?

Thanks for any help.

John
#2 Gunther
Hi John, normally the transition to the new Lightroom should be seamless, if you take care of the things that I've explained in the corresponding article and video tutorial: https://lrtimelapse.com/knowhow/lrtimela...htroom-11/

In any case it might be advisable to give it a fresh start. Make sure that LRTimelapse is set to "Masks 2.0" in the Settings, then load one of the sequences and do "Metadata / Initialize". Remove the sequence from Lightroom.

No start over as you are used to. Do a very simple edit: Create Keyframes and directly do the visual previews. This should sow rather large sawtooth structures in the pink curve. Now turn off the visual previews again by clicking on the button.

Now apply the holy grail wizard, and activate the visual previews again. You should see that the holy grail wizard removes the steps to a great extent. Iit will usually not be a perfect smooth pink curve after the holy grail wizard only, because that's a mathematical approach based on the values that the camera writes into exif, that might be not so exact as opposed to the visual smoothing done by the visual deflicker.

If that works, you are technically good. Now you can add you edits in Lightroom. Be aware of that the more you edit in Lightroom the more residual "steps" you might get after the holy grail wizard only. It's totally normal to remove those via visual deflicker later.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 johnbedwards@comcast.net
Thanks. That completely solved the issue, although I am not sure what made the difference. My LRTimelapse was already set to masks 2 and I had the latest Camera Raw converter, but downloaded the DNG converter from your link, so maybe that fixed the issue? Anyway, I appreciate your help in solving the issue.

John

...also check out: