• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

General question

#1 Rotorwash4944
Hello,
This may be in the wrong forum, however, I’m looking for a method to use a syrp genie mini ii as a star tracker. A search turns up a post here that contains a dead link to a technique. Does anyone have a copy of this method? Thanks for any help.
-Frank
#2 Gunther
I don't know too much about that syrp device, but a star tracker is a quite simple device. Make sure to align the rotation axis exactly to north on the northern hemisphere or to south on the southern hemisphere (you can use the Polaris Star as a guidance on the northern hemisphere. The rotation axis needs to point directly to that star).
Additionally you need to set up a constant rotation speed so that it takes 24 hours to rotate 360 degrees.
Now you have your simple star tracker.

PS: Moved this to the correct board.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Rotorwash4944
Gunther- Thank you for relocating this thread properly, and for your answer that was so deceptively simple!

I mounted the Syrp mini on a video fluid head, and locked the angle. I even removed the panning handle and I believe its bracket will serve to hold my pen-sized laser pointer to help polar alignment.

Next I set up the video slew rate to the full 360 over 23.9 hours.

I’ll report back with results once I get clear skies!

Thanks so much.
-Frank
#4 Gunther
You are welcome! Good luck! :-)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 jedfromnz
Ive pulled this off a few times now, its abit finicky to get used to it but if you can be arsed then yea it can be made to work well enough, easier with a mirrorless and its prime lens.
I run a Z6ii and a 20mm 1.8
Ive easily managed exposures of a minute with very rough alignment.

...also check out: