• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Getting confused on new LRT4

#1 Julian Elliott
Hi there

OK, I am trying to redo a HG sequence I have in LRT4.

Initially, all looks good and the flickering I experienced in my previous edit appears to have gone. However, part of my old workflow seems to be messing things up somewhere but I don't know where.

How I prefer to work is by doing this:

1) Import my images into Lightroom.
2) Knowing that I have my exposures correct throughout the sequence, and just needing LRT4 to sort out the fine tuning, I check my first and last exposures for where I want them to be.
3) I go through the process as required in LRT4 adjusting things in the HG Wizard and through to the new Visual Deflicker.
4) I save the XMP file and here is where it seems to fall down for me.

In LRT3, I would save the XMP files and then in Lightroom I would read them to add in the smooth transitions. I then add my own adjustments such as sharpening etc.

This all worked fine in LRT3 but in LRT4 when I synchronize across the files, avoiding exposure, it then messes up all the exposures.

Any ideas why? What boxes shouldn't be ticked when synchronizing.

I had a workflow that was going smooth and right now have a hurdle. I'm sure it's something simple but without your input Gunther I'm stuck!

Edit. This is what I am making in my final adjustments. If I add these earlier in the process, does LRT4 try and smooth these out or any other fancy stuff?

Essentially, I need all of the below to remain at these constant settings:

WB: I prefer this on 5500 and Tint of 10.
Vibrance: around 7
Saturation: max 15
Sharpening amount: 35
Radius: 0.5
Detail: 25
NR Luminance: 20
Color: 15
Remove chromatic abberation: ticked
#2 Gunther
You are basically not using the recommended workflow at all - you can trust me - there is a reason why the workflow is like I defined it - it's just to avoid problems like yours. You are making your life way too complicated. Maybe you could just try to follow the recommended workflow, explained at http://lrtimelapse.com/instructions and you will see, that it's much easier.

If you insist in doing it your way, and use the regular copy/paste or sync in Lightroom, you won't be able to use the gradient filters, you then must untick them. That's why I provided the new "Sync" script that will take care of everything.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Julian Elliott
Gunther

I appreciate the reply but some of it is a bit off I'm afraid. The last sentence is not helpful at all when we as users are in effect helping to support and promote you and the business.

Upon reading the instructions I am not seeing one of the things I asked. That is, if I apply a specific setting to those keyframes is LRT then trying to smooth these out.

I'm sorry if I've missed it somewhere but I can't see it.

Last night, I went through the new HG video to see what was needed. In it you mention about how LRT would take care of some smoothing on the noise reduction as you needed to increase the exposure of a raw file.

If we could start over that would be appreciated. Thank you!
#4 Gunther
Absolutely. I'm here to help you. So why don't you just try to do the workflow like it's intended and then see, if you get your edit done! It's crucial when using the HG Wizard, and/or deflickier, that you don't copy/paste or sync settings in LR the normal way but use the new Sync script like I showed it in the video and explained it in the workflow instructions.

Quote:Upon reading the instructions I am not seeing one of the things I asked. That is, if I apply a specific setting to those keyframes is LRT then trying to smooth these out.

I'm sorry but I don't understand this question.
#5 Julian Elliott
The question.

OK. What I believe I heard last night when watching the video was that at some point you applied noise reduction to an image half way through. I "think" that I heard you say not to worry about this as LRT will smoothly transition into the NR.

So what I asking is, I want to apply as stated below and I want it on all images. I presume that I just synch it at some point in the early stages of the workflow.

I will re-read the instructions too and go from there.

Gunther. I appreciate what you do and what you have created. The product is great and it serves a huge purpose. I came to you as I believed, based on my shooting technique, that what you offer outshines the rest. As I stated in a previous conversation, I am perfectly willing to shout about the product because I believe in it.

However, I know from past experience of being employed in IT that end users will annoy the heck out of you but you cannot let it rile you. You are in business and if you show on a public forum that you don't have the patience required then people will drift away.

Should I have read the instructions all the way? Really, yes! But the reaction given should never be displayed when you are in business otherwise you will gain a reputation that you don't need.
#6 Gunther
You are right.

The normal way is to apply all parameters you want to the first keyframe, then just sync (with the sync script) to the next one, modify what need to be modified and leave the constant ones. This way, the constant changes will all be the same for all keyframes, and the animated changes will vary. LRT will just connect all of those. The constant ones will not be displayed in the table because they are constant, only if you untick "hide unchanged properties". The animated ones will be visible. I hope this helps.
#7 Julian Elliott
Right. Cool!

Thank you Gunther.

And the sequence I used this on is now live on Vimeo so I will be tagging it as instructed the other day. I'll also post it in the appropriate section here too.

The help is appreciated Smile

...also check out: