• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Giga T Pro II v Built in Nikon Interval Timer?

#1 Motorised
I’ve just taken delivery of a Giga T Pro II .

Not cheap certainly, but a charming little gadget just the same.

Although I haven’t used it yet in earnest, I have tried it out and tested it in order to get some experience with it.

What has come to mind is: What’s it good for?

Where or what are the advantages of using the Giga T Pro II over the Nikon built in Interval Timer.

If I’m missing a trick here, I would certainly be very grateful if someone would please enlighten me.
#2 BillinNM
I recently acquired the Giga T Pro II to use with my Nikon D700 (and my just-acquired D800).

So far I've identified two features/capabilities that come in handy for my TL work ...

1. It allows me to exceed the 999 shot limit of the D700's built-in intervalometer. 999 is plenty of shots for a lot of my work, but there are times I want to shoot more, and the Giga T Pro allows for an "infinite" number of shots, which is handy. If I know I'll be shooting 999 or fewer shots, I'll usually just use the built-in camera intervalometer, which works just fine.

2. IF you are quick about it, and your interval allows enough time, you can actually swap into the camera a fresh battery without losing a shot or messing up the timing. That is, you can power off the camera, remove the nearly exhausted camera battery, replace it with a fresh one, and power the camera back on, all the while having the Giga T Pro continuing to run. The Giga T will continue to send the "fire shutter" command to the camera at the appropriate intervals. If I were to swap camera batteries while using the built-in intervalometer, it would throw off the shot timing/cadence.

There are other things the device can do, but so far these are two I've identified as being the most helpful for my TL shooting. Let me know if you learn other features for TL-ing. The Giga T Pro is a handy little wireless remote. There are products that are less expensive and probably do the job just as well, however.

Bill
#3 Motorised
Thank you Bill, for your valued contribution. It's good to know I haven't entirely wasted my money, and that I will get some benefit from it.
#4 DoubleD
I don't know how the Nikon's work but with my Pentax K5 you can't make any exposure changes when using the built in intervalometer. With the GigaT Pro I can make changes to ISO and shutter speed when doing day night transitions.

...also check out: