• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gradient Filters not being read or saved

#1 Lynne B
Hi,

The Linear Gradient Filters (and it could be all of them) in the Lightroom Edits are not being saved or read through the Metadata. At the end of the whole process, the gradient filter changes are there in the Lightroom History, just before where is says 'From Metadata', and then the Export Timelapse being the last entry in the Lightroom History, but the Filter changes disappear after selecting the 'From Metadata' line in the History, or after that history entry, which is the Export entry.

I've used LR Timelapse a number of times, and it has always worked, but have not used it since mid year last, and this is the first time I have had this happen. I don't know if it has anything to do with the latest update that I did just before running my new Timelapse, or if there is a bug.

It is frustrating to go through the whole process and get to the end, and find out the Filters have not taken effect at all.

Appreciate any help with this.

Thank you

Lynne
#2 Gunther
Hi Lynne,
on Initialization LRTimelapse creates a couple of Masks (Gradients) which you need to use while editing. Your not supposed to create new Masks or remove from the predefined masks. Also you shouldn't start editing in Lightroom and create any Masks, without havin LRT initializing the sequence first.
So please remove that sequence from Lightroom, load it into LRTimelapse and do "Metadata / Initialize" to get a clean start.
Then follow the workflow description on https://lrtimelapse.com/workflow/visual - when editing the keyframes in LR, make sure to only use the predefined masks.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Lynne B
Hi Gunther,

As stated I have used LR Timelapse many times before without a problem, and if I haven't used it for a while, I follow along with your instructional video to make sure I don't miss any steps. This is happening using LR Timelapse the correct way, using your Masks, using LR Timelapse in conjunction with Lightroom, and this is still happening. I have re-tried it about 4 times and each time your Masks are not working in conjunction with either saving or reading the Metadata. My Lightroom Classic Version is 13.1.

Lynne
#4 Gunther
Ok. Let's try to track that down.
- Update your Lightroom Classic to the latest (13.2).
- Make sure you have the latest LRTimelapse 6.5.4 installed.
- Install the latest Adobe DNG Converter: 16.2 (Link on https://lrtimelapse.com/install/ )
Try again, just make a simple test with a clean sequence (remove it from Lightroom, in LRT start with "Metadata Initialize".
Use 2 Keyframes. After Saving in LRT, go to LRT, import the sequence and edit the first keyframe.
Use one of the predefined Masks (Labeled with "Edit me") and use only the predefined Linear gradient (don't add additional selectors). Drag the exposure down all the way on that gradient.
Use the sync script to bring the edits to the second keyframe.
Now move that gradient to another place.
Go to grid view (G), select all keyframes, do "Metadata / Write Metadata to files".
Now go back to LRTimelapse, click on auto Transition and wait for the Visual Previews to be generated.
You should see the Gradientmask being animated.
#5 Lynne B
Hi Gunther,

It is definitely not working. All of the programs are the latest updated versions, after updating Lightroom to 13.2. I did another couple of test runs, starting from fresh each time, and it seems that there is a problem with the Metadata Reading/Saving part.

After reaching the point of doing the edits in Lightroom, then making some adjustments to one of your edit me Linear Gradient Masks, I did this on 3 keyframe images, changing the settings slightly with each one, then saving the Metadata, then going back LR Timelapse, doing the Auto Transition, and there are no Masks listed at all, so no changes showing up in the columns for the changes to the Mask.

Then when going back to Lightroom for Exporting, there is no Arrow on the first Keyframe image showing that the Metadata was changed externally, there is only an arrow on the 2nd and 3rd Keyframe Image. Then after selecting all of the images and select Read Metadata, then having a look at the edit History, the edits on the Mask are there on the 2nd line from the top of the history list, then when I click on the next line at the top of the History list, 'From Metadata', the Mask changes disappear. This is on all of the images.

Lynne
#6 Gunther
Hi Lynne,
first of all, this is no issue any other user is reporting, this is a strong indicator that something is wrong in your workflow.
Let's try to figure out what.

is it possible, that you are working on different folders in Lightroom and LRTimelapse? Please double check!

You could also test, if "normal" edits (like Exposure) travel between the programs. If not, that would be also a strong indicator, that when importing to Lightroom you didn't select the "ADD" option but instead "COPY", which would create a second copy of the files and then you would have no connection between what you do in LRT on the one and in LR on the other copy of the files.

Here is an faq with more tips for troubleshooting:
https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-key...vise-versa
#7 Lynne B
Hi Gunther,

Definitely the correct folders, I labeled them 'Test', to keep them seperate.
Normal Edits are coming through ok, its just the Mask only.
Definitely have Add chosen in Lightroom.
I am as confused as you, as I have never had this happen before.

The only difference between the Timelapses that I did last year, and this new one I am trying to do now, is my camera. I used a Nikon D850 DSLR last year, and this one I used a Nikon Z9 Mirrorless.

Lynne
#8 Gunther
I'm working with a Z9 all the time.
Could you record a short Screencast showing what you are doing and also send me the log after the whole workflow (info menu / show log). Maybe I can see something...
#9 Lynne B
Hi Gunther,

I have sent the Log to you. I don't use the email it went through, so please reply on here. I have also sent a couple of LR Timelapse screenshots.

I don't have a screen recording program on this computer, the screen recorder I do have is on an older computer that I also use, but only allows to be on one computer at a time. I've tried other screen recorders but they are either not good or cost money to use.

I follow the process using your instructional video exactly, and it all used to work using the same process. Could it be possible that it might be happening to other people as well, but they are just not noticing that the Mask is not working in their video, they could just be assuming it is working and just not taking a closer look.

Lynne
#10 Gunther
Hi Lynne, of course I have tested this thoroughly to rule out any issues in the software, also specifically after you reported your problem. The Mask animation works fine for me and others.

Unfortunately the screenshots and also the log don't really reveal what's going on.

One more Idea: is it possible, that you have the Lightroom importer to apply a custom preset while importing? Or are you using any presets when editing that might destroy the predefinied masks?

It's really crucial that the structure of those masks don't change during the process, see my screenshot attached. You can move their positions and edit their tools but not remove from them or add to them. Also don't use AI Masks, you need to use the predefined Linear or Circular Gradients.

Still I would like to see your whole process in a screen recording. Since you are on a mac, you can do a screen recording via Quicktime easily:
Open Quicktime, from the second menu choose "New Screen Recording". Move and resize the rectangle and hit on the record button. Send me that recording via we transfer or dropbox to the support email.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

...also check out: