• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Holy Grail Wizard or Deflicker have no Effect

#1 Gunther
If the Holy Grail Wizard doesn't show any effect and Deflicker also doesn't seem to work, usually this is a sign, that the MASKS Version is not corresponding between Lightroom and LRTimelapse. Lightroom changed from Gradients to Masks in version 11 and this needs to be reflected in the LRTimelapse settings.
By default, LRTimelapse assumes that you are working with the latest Lightroom Classic (Masks 2.0).

If you use the Latest Lightroom Classic (11.x or higher)
You'd need to have set the "Masks Version" to "2.0" in the LRTimelapse Settings.
Also you need to make sure to have the latest version of Adobe DNG Converter installed, because older versions don't support Masks.
You'll find download links for the latest Adobe DNG Converter here: https://lrtimelapse.com/install/

If you use an older version of Lightroom (10 or older)
You'd need to set Masks Version to "1.0".

If you need to change the mask version:
  • Load the sequence that doesn't work, do "Metadata / Clear Metadata"
  • If you get asked, if you want to "Initialize" say NO.
  • Click on Save.
  • Change the Masks version it in the Settings
  • Restart LRTimelapse
Now start from scratch with the editing.

It's normal, that after the holy grail wizard only the curve is not totally smooth - some zig zag effects might remain in the pink curve because the Holy Grail corrections are based on the Exif data of the camera only and that those are not always really accurate.
But usually the pink curve in the visual previews should already be way smoother than the blue curve of the camera previews. And latest after a Deflicker run the curve should smooth out.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#2 Anderl
Hello Gunther,

thank you for these explanations. I followed your instructions as you described but failed again. I still have a zigzag profile after de-flickering, it will not chnage and become more smooth.
Bassically I followed your workflow. During this workflow I observed the following behaviour:

I have a zigzag profile in my timelaps so I used the holy gral button for strechting etc. After clicking on "Save" I realized a smooth
pink profile indicated with pink dots in parallel to the key frames.
After working with the keyframes and having saved the corresponding meta data I switched to LRT again and clicked on "Auto Transition" (not reloading as in earlier versions used). Again the zigzag profile appeared with no change or smoothing at all.
After clicking on Visual Previews nothing changed, you only can switch on or off. After switching off you can use the de-flickering button. I generated a smooth green line but after de-flickering has finished I still got a zigzag profile with the pink line without no change.
Additional info: During timelapse shooting I modified the exposure time several times which is the reason for this zigzag profile.
But I expected to get it more smooth after the workflow. I have been successful many times before with older versioen and similiar exposure jumps.
What did I wrong? What might be the reason for this behaviour? Waht do you want me to check out.

Thank you for a feedback.
Viele Grüße

Andreas
#3 Gunther
That's strange, especially since you say you could apply deflicker when the visual previews were off? That shouldn't be possible.
Frankly it's quite hard to help you because I can't really see what you are doing.
Did you watch my new tutorials where I explain about the two visual previews modes - for keyframes only and for the whole sequence? I think it's important to understand the differences in LRT6, check them out: https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/
I think the "What's new in LRT6" video will help, but you could also watch the basic tutorial and the holy grail tutorial. They all have valuable information, that's why I create them.
If the problems persist, could you maybe record a screencast or even make some screenshots to illustrate what you are experiencing.
#4 twhizzle
Servus Gunther,

I have a similar problem. I just installed your LRTimelapse 6 and have made a small testing timelapse sequence of 200 photos with my Fujifilm X-T4 (.RAF files). The sequence was shot yesterday during sunset using a set ISO (160) and aperture (8.0) and automatic exposure time determined by the camera (going from 1/25 to 1 sec over the duration of the shooting). So the exposure of each frame is very similar - no holy grailing needed. Just the normal deflickering.

I have followed your LRT6 tutorial and everything until visual deflicker works fine (keyframing, exporting and editing keyframes in lightroom, re-importing to LRT6). The deflicker just has no effect. I have tried different settings of Smoothing, Accuracy and Multi-pass flicker. While the green curve smoothes out, the violett curve stays bumpy, and the values in "Visual Lum" stay random with jumps up and down by up to 0.012.
For example:
... and so on. And this is after at least 10 deflicker passes. I think you get the picture.

I am not sure about the first passes of deflicker, but now, after like 10 deflicker passes, it does not change the values of the Visual Lum column. Maybe it neither did in the first passes, but I don't know that for sure.

Most probably it is user error, but after playing around for a few hours, I really have no idea what I could do any more. Maybe you have an idea where I went wrong.

Thank your very much in advance for your help.

Greetings from Vienna
Thomas
#5 Gunther
Did you make sure that you followed my advices regarding the masks version in the very first post of this thread?
https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-hol...8#pid51088
#6 twhizzle
Servus Gunther,

yes, of course. I have LR Classic 11.2 and masks are set to 2.0. So that does not seem to be the reason for my problem.

Thank you for your time and help!

Thomas
#7 Gunther
Without further information I can only say, that normally it works.

One thing that could be cause this is, if you use an outdated version of Adobe DNG Converter. But normally LRT should give you a message about this.

Please double check and update your DNG Converter to the latest, links on https://lrtimelapse.com/install/

If the problems persists, Maybe if you share a screencast or some screenshots, I could tell more, but currently it's hard to tell...
#8 twhizzle
Thank you very much for your help.

My DNG converter was outdated (no error message from LRT, though). I did the update and now the Visual Lum values get changed when I do a deflicker. I have to look into it further, but on the first glance, it seems to work now.

Again, thank you very much for your help and effort.

Greetings from Vienna
Thomas
#9 joes
There seems to be no way to keep using older version of LR, due to the automatic conversion from masks 1 to masks 20.
I can manually change the version 2 to version 1. But starting LRT again brings me back to the version 2 as sdoon as I open a sequence.
I only use LR version 6.14 and I don't think about buying LR every month so I will stick to my own paid for version.
How do I convince the settings of LRT that I insist on working with masks 1?
If that is not possible anymore, then I can throw away my LRT investment and will have to look for something else.
Would be nice to know if there is a solution before I travel to Norway next week.
Thanks for any solution to stick to the old version of LR, not only for me.
Regards, Joes
#10 Gunther
If LRTimelapse detects xmp files that have been processed kor initialized) with masks 2.0, it will switch to this mode.
So please delete the xmp files from all folders that you have initialized with Masks 2.0 when having set the wrong setting in LRTimelapse. You can do that via Metadata/Clear Metadata - just choose not to reinitialize when you get asked; alternatively delete the XMP files via Explorer/Finder.
Then set the masks version in LRT back to 1.0.

Restart LRT. Now you should be able to work with Masks 1.0 and your outdated Lightroom.

Btw: this situation doesn't happen, if you choose the correct masks version right away, when asked the first time by LRTimelapse.

...also check out: