• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Import needs Improvements.

#1 saravanak
I recently upgraded to the LRT 7 Pro version and was excited to tryout the 'Convert to DNG on Import' feature. But I was a little disappointed with how it works and have a couple of suggestions to make it better.

1. When importing a folder with multiple sub-folders inside it would be best if you preserve the folder structure while importing. Right now LRT dumps all the (thousands of) imported files under one single folder and it is a pain to sort through them and recreate the folder structure again. Think of it as a scenario where I already have a Timelapse library and want to convert it to DNG in order to save some storage space.

2. The DNG Conversion happens one file at a time and is very slow as a result. I wonder if it would be possible to make the import multi-threaded, similar to generating previews.
#2 Gunther
Thanks for your feedback. I think there might be a misunderstanding for what the importer is meant to and for what not, also about the purpose of DNG files.
First of all, the importer is meant to be used to copy files from memory cards to timelapse folder for further selection, split and editing. It's not meant to be used for files that are already on a harddrive or ssd. This is different from Lightroom, because LRTimelapse doesn't have a catalog, you don't need to import. Usually, if the files are already on the SSD, you just open them in the main window by clicking on the folder.

You should NOT convert your Raw files to DNG for timelapse. DNG are slower to process and have rather disadvantages and no advantages. Just do yourself a favor and work on the Raw files.

1.) This is a feature not a bug. When you import from memory cards, often the camera splits the folders randomly and LRTimelapse combines those files into one folder. After that you can go through that folder and split it into single timelapse shots. I've explained this in the tutorial about "Import and split your sequences", you should check that out: https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/basic/

2.) Yes, it's currently not multithreaded. But again, it should not be used on a regular basis when importing timelapse.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 ernfam
Hi Gunther,
you are providing clarifications and additional information! However, I still have a problem that need to clear. What are the best practices for organizing timelapse sequences after importing?

Hope to see your responses soon!
#4 Ulli
It's up to you and your workflow and not really an aspect of LRTimelapse i think (which can help with the automated date/time writing to folders). I use a main structure with regions where the TL were shot and I visit often and then year and Month-Day similar to Lightroom ...
#5 Gunther
Also check out the "import and split" tutorial on https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/basic
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: