• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

is LR rendering of intermediate TIFFs for LRT an unavoidable workflow bottleneck?

#1 chasg
Hi Gunther,

I'm using a dedicated LR/LRT rendering workflow at the moment (thanks for all the help), but I'm a little frustrated with a bottleneck that is holding me back: LR renders the TIFFs of sequences destined for LRT rendering _in parallel_, instead of in series (it's not a "batch" workflow). There is no way to queue up renders.

Like I'm sure most timelapse photogs do, I tend to shoot multiple sequences in a session (with at least two cameras), and I edit all of those sequences one after the other. If I'm efficient in my LRT/LR edits, I can have a _lot_ of sequences of intermediate TIFFs rendering at the same time, which isn't great for the drive that these files are on (a lot of jumping around of the read heads), and the overall throughput to and from the drive is slowed way down. And it's not practical for me to sit, waiting for each sequence of TIFFs to finish rendering, before starting another sequence rendering.

What's your strategy to deal with this problem? (besides having faster and faster hardware ;-)

My earlier workflow was LR/LRT editing, import raws to AfterEffects and render from there (or render in Adobe Media Encoder), both of which queue up renders in a one-after-the-other batch (with your help, I now know about the inefficiencies of this workflow, but at least I can queue).

(fyi: I thought asking this question outside of our earlier "Mac colour consistency" discussion might be more useful for someone else who might have the same question)

Cheers!

Chas
#2 Gunther
One question: do you know my tutorial about multi sequence processing? On the tutorials page / advanced.
Check that out. I guess you might be doing the batch export from lightroom wrong.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 chasg
Ah, that's fantastic!

For anyone with the same specific question as mine, here is the link to Gunther's tutorial with a timestamp to the batch export workflow from Lightroom: https://youtu.be/ZGCJMbgv5iQ?t=710

Sorry Gunther, I did watch this video when it came out (or when I upgraded to Pro, I can't remember which came first), but because I typically was rendering from AE/AME, I didn't remember this great tip. Thanks for the help (and the detailed tutorial).
#4 Gunther
You are welcome!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: