• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lens protection for nighttime TL

#1 MountainWanderer
Hi

I'm in the process of shooting some overnight TL on a mountain.

Have done a few test shoots, and ironed out most of the issues (mostly to do with number of batteries and cards needed, and supporting the camera against movement)

But on my last attempt, having set the cameras going, I was woken up 3 hours later by a heavy rainstorm drumming on my tent.

Rushed out to retrieve the cameras, but not before a small lake had formed in the bottom of each lens hood Sad (Both cams survived, but it was rather worrying, and I'm racking my brains as to how to solve this one...)

One constraint is that I need to use a wide-angle lens (often 20mm FF or 17mm on crop-sensor) - which means I can't build any kind of roof over the lens to protect it without it appearing in shot...
And the lens has to be tilted above horizontal, so I can get stars in the shot...

Have looked at a few completely waterproof casings - http://store.aquapac.net/explore-product...e-458.html looks to be one of the best that isn't a prohibitively expensive "ProLevel-ScubaDiving" case, but they don't make one to fit the Canon 5mk2 - and I doubt that the 650D with battery grip (needed for enough power to run overnight).

Hopefully someone else has encountered a similar problem and has solved it already ;-)
#2 FableBlue2010
(2013-11-08, 17:13)MountainWanderer Wrote: Hi

I'm in the process of shooting some overnight TL on a mountain.

Have done a few test shoots, and ironed out most of the issues (mostly to do with number of batteries and cards needed, and supporting the camera against movement)

But on my last attempt, having set the cameras going, I was woken up 3 hours later by a heavy rainstorm drumming on my tent.

Rushed out to retrieve the cameras, but not before a small lake had formed in the bottom of each lens hood Sad (Both cams survived, but it was rather worrying, and I'm racking my brains as to how to solve this one...)

One constraint is that I need to use a wide-angle lens (often 20mm FF or 17mm on crop-sensor) - which means I can't build any kind of roof over the lens to protect it without it appearing in shot...
And the lens has to be tilted above horizontal, so I can get stars in the shot...

Have looked at a few completely waterproof casings - http://store.aquapac.net/explore-product...e-458.html looks to be one of the best that isn't a prohibitively expensive "ProLevel-ScubaDiving" case, but they don't make one to fit the Canon 5mk2 - and I doubt that the 650D with battery grip (needed for enough power to run overnight).

Hopefully someone else has encountered a similar problem and has solved it already ;-)

The cheapest way, IMO, is a plastic bag, rubber bands and a uv filter.
#3 MountainWanderer
Thanks - although I had a try with a UV filter early on (foreseeing this could be an issue), and was struggling with condensation...

(Which was sorted by "hotpads" when I didn't use the UV filter - but the filter just seemed to be one thing too much, and I can't carry the weight to take an extra hotpad per lens per TL per night...!)
#4 Samm
Hi,
have a look at the following: http://bprc.osu.edu/~jbox/photos/Greenla...age006.png
.. if you are able to build your own external power system also, it will be very easy .
Also a heating system is easy to build for it.
Try this way for longer time-lapse--
#5 MountainWanderer
Hmm, not sure why, but it lost my first reply to this...

Thanks Samm

Looks interesting...

Although I don't need additional power (the grip gives me long enough for what I'm trying to achieve) the box could well be a better way of insulating.

Which could mean I can use that UV filter again...

Of course, that won't stop raindrops on the lens wrecking shots, but should mean that the cams protected when it rains...

Is there a pic of the front of the cam in this setup?

(Then there's the small matter of what I have to remove from the rucksac to get this in... it already weighs >25kg and is full to overflowing with things like batteries, cards, handwarmers etc let alone my camping gear!)

...also check out: