• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mirrorless cameras and the lens twist method

Question
#1 savini1
Hi everyone!

I am looking at getting back in the game after a few years off.

In the past, I always shot with the "lens twist" method on Canon cameras to ensure no aperture flickering in post.

Before buying a new mirrorless camera, I would like to know if this is still possible to do with mirrorless?

If yes, is the lens twist method working with RF or EF lenses, or both?

Now I know you can basically eliminate all visual flickering with LRTimelapse but I am the kind of person who likes to eliminate possible mistakes right from the start.

Any advice is appreciated!
Cheers!
#2 Gunther
I don't know if that's possible and I really don't care about that kind of aperture flicker anymore since many years.
Just trust the visual deflicker in LRT - you can now do as many passes as you want without any loss in quality. It's just not worth sacrificing any options by twisting your lens. After all, you won't be able the change the aperture anymore while shooting then, which is kind of a sacrifice for some scenarios.
Just give the new LRTimelapse and the Multipass Visual Deflicker a try and then decide if it's worth to still do things like lens twisting. Honestly I don't know anyone that does that anymore... :-)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 savini1
I guess I am the only one you know then Wink

I tend to hold on to a tried and tested method but I am sure you are right.

Have you noticed less/more aperture flicker using mirrorless over traditional mechanical shutter?

My last camera was a Canon 5DSr and looking to purchase the Canon R5.
#4 c_joerg
Quote: Before buying a new mirrorless camera, I would like to know if this is still possible to do with mirrorless?

With EF Lenses on my EOS M3 it works.
I would also expect an R to work with EF.
If you put the lens on the 5D and then put it on the R5 then it must definitely work.
#5 savini1
Interesting. What ef mount do you have?
#6 c_joerg
I have checked EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM und EF 50mm f1.8 STM on EOS M3 and that works.
If have not checked my EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM.

I also checked the EFM 15-45mm IS STM. That works as well. I would expect it to be the same with RF.

The problem with STM is that I can’t control the focus after twisting anymore.

In contrast to the EF lenses, the EFM and RF lenses are closed and not open when they are switched off without twisting.

...also check out: