• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lightroom AE workflow i feel stupid

#1 lerroy
Hi

Thanks for this great program and for putting in all time to help photographers and fellow time-lapse enthusiasts. Thank you.

this is my current workflow

Shot footage
import into lightroom
edit photos retouch etc.
export tif or hi res jpeg
import into AE CS4 and edit
render all done

i have just made a video that im semi happy with that's almost 5 minutes long
its made up of 35 scenes however 3 or 4 have some bad flicker that i would like to fix

http://www.vimeo.com/28254943

i imported the jpg files that i used for the movie and followed your video, sync settings etc and saving meta data. i then opened them in LRtimelapse and selected de flicker moved the line till it was straight and then saved

opened light room again and read data all ok.

however when i then export them and import into AE the flicker is still apparent

So Im guess Im doing something wrong ? can you explain better workflow for me

The only step that Im missing is the part where you edited the last shot too whatever white balance you wanted.

i wasn't sure what this was for ? i do not want my images to change balance and or exp only to de-flicker is this the step im screwing up on ?

sorry to be a pain

#2 Gunther
Hi Lerroy,
these are really great shots and I would like to see them properly deflickert. I'm convinced that that is no Problem with LRTimelapse, if you do it right.

Some questions:
Did you shoot raw? If so you should deflicker on a RAW basis before exporting to the final tif/jpgs you are going to use in After Effects.

Please take care of the tips I gave here for editing, to obtain the best results.

Quote:i imported the jpg files that i used for the movie and followed your video, sync settings etc and saving meta data. i then opened them in LRtimelapse and selected de flicker moved the line till it was straight and then saved

opened light room again and read data all ok.

however when i then export them and import into AE the flicker is still apparent
If you work that way, you must take care to check "minimize metadata" on export! Otherwise Aftereffects might apply your deflicker a second time, making it worse!

Quote:So Im guess Im doing something wrong ? can you explain better workflow for me

Okay, I would do it like this:
  • Edit first image of the shot, take care to change Exposure the minimum a little bit to "set" that setting.
  • make your other edits to the image (take care of the tips in the link above)
  • synchronize to the whole sequence
  • save metadata (G, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-S)
  • read the folder in LRTimelapse,
  • set an appropriate reference area for deflicker ("draw" it in the preview panel)
  • deflicker (only change smoothness until you get rid of local changes)
  • save
  • read metadata for all files in Lightroom
  • Export the whole sequence with minimized metadata (important!)
  • Continue in Aftereffects
If you want to make a quick check, if it worked, you can as well use my Slideshow and Video-Templates and export Video right out of Lightroom. There are 3K Templates in HQ as well, so you might not need After Effects at all for rendering, I would only use it for composing the sequences. But that's up to you.

Quote:The only step that Im missing is the part where you edited the last shot too whatever white balance you wanted.
Since you are not doing any transitions, you don't need that.

Keep up the good work and let me know if you could improve your result. I would be delighted if you would share your video in our showroom once its ready.

Best
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 lerroy
(2011-09-01, 11:00)gwegner Wrote: Hi Lerroy,
these are really great shots and I would like to see them properly deflickert. I'm convinced that that is no Problem with LRTimelapse, if you do it right.

Gunther

Wow thanks for the in-depth reply

i followed your steps (with raw files) and a quick view in lightroom looks like its worked like a charm

the things i think i missed
i didn't make a selection on the preview window in lrlightroom
and when i exported i didn't choose minimize lightroom data

ill work on the video and will let you know when i have finished

thank you for your help and patience

#4 Gunther
Glad I could help! ;-)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 lerroy
(2011-09-01, 13:00)gwegner Wrote: Glad I could help! ;-)

Hi

i just finished doing the edits on my video, i have replaced the old one on Vimeo

I ended up editing around 8 of the scenes with Lrtimelapse. Im still learning but i think i have made a big improvements to some of the scenes. Intact one scene I did not include at all because it was so flickery, but now been able to add it in.
Lr timlapae is absolutely incredible i cant wait to use it on another up-coming time-lapse

Thanks again

Lightroom 6
gregm
2015-04-26, 09:54
Last Post: Gunther

...also check out: