• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lightroom DNG import

Question
#1 rlpeebles
[Image: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/images/icons/question.gif] I almost always import into Lightroom my RAW files immediately as a DNG. There is a Preference Option for DNG to "Embed Original RAW File". My question is whether to do that or not?

If I do that, it will delete one of the purposes, i.e.  to change the RAW file to a smaller file (DNG) without losing any or most of the RAW information.

However, if I don't embed the original RAW file, I am under the assumption that LRTimelapse cannot get the needed information for the "sidecar"  the software creates.

Can someone elaborate on this? Should I include the embed raw file, because, if I don't, my assumption will be correct?
#2 Gunther
In my opinion it makes no sense to embed the original RAW into the DNG. If you want to preserve the original RAW, just don't convert to DNG. If you want DNG - get rid of the RAW. For timelapse I recommend staying with the original RAW since the process is slightly faster then.

But in any case: LRTimelapse is pretty able to deal with DNG the same way then with original Raw files. It will use the embedded XMP if available and newer.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: