• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lightroom Render Times and Throttling its CPU usage

#1 m86sanders
Hi folks,

I have been working on some rather large timelapse projects as off late. In which I need to export 15-20k images for each set. Unfortunately no way around this large export.

So I was wondering if anyone had any information on if you can and how. I might go about limiting the amount of resources that Lightroom utilises during an export? I am under no timeframe for these exports but it is painful to work when Lightroom is choking the CPU. My thought was to limit its use to say 50%, when I need to work. Then take the reins off overnight and let the computer render away when its not needed.

Any thoughts would be great, as so far my search for a solution has come up with nada.
#2 Steve Roberts
Howdy,

What version of Lightroom are you using ? I use 5.7.1 and I find that I can run about 3 instances of export at a time because one export hardly uses any resource. I'm using a Windows 10 PC.
#3 Gunther
From Lightroom CC on, Lightroom does a good job in paralellizing the export and I don't know of a way to slow this down. That means, while exporting you might not be able to work normally on that computer. In LRTimelapse however, there is a way to reduce the number of parallel threads used in the expert settings.

Normally you would collect all export and render tasks during the day and start them alltogether over the night. I explain on how to start a multiple sequence export in a special tutorial on https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/ check that out for the best way to work with lots of sequences without having to wait for your computer.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 Dann-Oh
On a windows PC you can do the following:

Open the task manager (Control + Alt + delete)
Right click on the application you are using (Lightroom)
Click on "Go To Details"
Right click on Application name (Lightroom)
click on set priority
choose what level you want the application to be prioritized

In the "Go To Details" window
Right click on Application name (Lightroom)
click on set Affinity
choose how many CPU cores are allowed to run the selected application.

YOU WILL HAVE TO PREFORM THIS ACTION EACH TIME YOU OPEN THE GIVEN APPLICATION.

...also check out: