• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Location Metadata Lost

#1 kevin0623797
All images in my sequence had location metadata (GPS coordinate and altitude) saved in the XMP files. I loaded and edited the image sequence in LRTimelapse. After I was done with the workflow in LRTimelapse and reload the metadata in Lightroom, the location of all images was lost.

Previously, I was using LRTimelapse 5.8 and Lightroom 10.4 and everything worked as expected. This issue only happened after I upgraded to LRTimelapse 6.0 RC 1 and Lightroom 11.2.

Is this the expected behavior of LRTimelapse 6 or is it a bug?
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
LRTimelapse 6 didn't change anything about metadata handling. Usually you start the workflow in LRTimelapse. Location data will normally not be in XMP but in Exif. And LRTimelapse doesn't touch that.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 kevin0623797
I started the workflow in Lightroom because I was re-editing some old sequences. I understand that location data are part of the EXIF. However, my location data were not generated by the camera so they are not embedded in the RAW files. Instead, I added the location using the Map module in Lightroom. The data were saved by Lightroom in the XMP files with attribute names "exif:GPSLatitude", "exif:GPSLongitude", and "exif:GPSAltitude", as shown in the attached image.

After the workflow was done in LRTimelapse, as I inspected the XMP files, most attributes whose names start with "exif:" were gone. The only two left were "exif:ISOSpeedRatings" and "exif:Flash".

Since I couldn't find a way to attach an image in the reply, I edited my original post to attach the image.
#4 Gunther
That's strange, because LRTimelapse usually doesn't touch exif data or other data in the XMP it just merges the existing XMP with it's own initializations. Also it doesn't explain why exif:ISOSpeedRatings and exif:Flash are there - LRT has nothing to do with those.
I don't find GPS Data really relevant for timelapse, but if it's important to you, send me one of those images before you have run them though LRT - I'd need the Raw+the XMP with the GPS data. Then I'd have a look.
#5 kevin0623797
Thank you for your time and effort! Today I updated LRTimelapse from 6.0 RC1 to 6.0.0. After I did some testing, this issue has been fixed.

P.S. The location data are important to me because I have automated scripts on my website that uses these data to link my images and time-lapses to different travel guides.
#6 Gunther
I didn't change anything about this in the release version. But I'm glad that it's working now for you...
#7 kevin0623797
Actually the issue is still there. It's just not always happening and seems somewhat random to me. I'm still figuring out the certain procedures to reproduce this issue.
#8 Gunther
Hi Kevin, I've just sent you an Email with a beta in which I think that I've solved this issue. Please test and let me know!
#9 Gunther
This is fixed in LRTimelapse 6.3.0. Please upgrade.
https://lrtimelapse.com/download/

...also check out: