• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

longer shutter speeds starting the holy grail

#1 dennisdilaura
This may have been discussed before but since I can't find the thread .....
I want to try the holy grail with qdslrdashboard and conclude with the milky way exposure (around f 2-2.8, 20 sec., ISO 3200). Around sunset (sun slightly above the horizon) the shutter speed will likely be around, f2, 1/500, ISO 100). With nice cloud movement around sunset this shutter is too fast. As mentioned in the tutorial, ramping the aperture from starting closed down to get a longer shutter can cause some problems (depth of field and vignetting). Removing neutral density filters as the evening progresses doesn't seem like an appropriate solution. So is there a "solution" to start with longer shutter speeds during daylight? If not, what is the suggested course to take (or is there something I'm missing)?
Thank you in advance.
#2 Gunther
The solution is to accept the shorter shutter speeds in that case. Or you could to interval ramping and do the sunset with way shorter intervals - then the clouds would be still rather smooth despite the short exposures - and then gradually ramp to longer intervals for the stars when the exposures would be also longer. You could do that with the LRT Pro Timer. https://lrtimelapse.com/lrtpt/

Or: you could do different shots - where one does the sunset with ND filter and then another angle does the transition later. Of course then this is not a full holy grail, but on the other hand it depends on what you will be using the clips for. For a film, it's mostly more interesting to have some variations in framing as opposed to having a long sequence with full transition. But that depends on what you want to do.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 dennisdilaura
Thanks Gunther! Perfect response. This really helps me!
#4 gruppetto-joe
I was thinking about the same problem and last week I tried it with a Variable ND Filter during sunset - however I was not shooting into the night until Milky Way or anything like that. It worked pretty well and I agree with Gunther that having various clips leads to a better result in the end anyway as usually watching clips longer than 3-9 seconds already feels a little "boring" especially if you are not a timelapse and/or astrophotography geek.

I used qDslrDashboard app combined with the VND Filter and I worked like a swell - I was surprised how smooth it came out! just make sure to have a VND without "clicks" so you can turn it without shaking the camera while doing it.

Check out the result here if you like - the mentioned clip with then VND-Filter is at minute 1:31- 1:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxH6b2iVJVc
#5 dennisdilaura
Thanks for the suggestions Joe! Interesting and different TL!

...also check out: