• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Grail with new pro timer 3 and qDslrDashboard

Video
#1 Nick
When I received my pro timer 3 I was a little unsure (mainly because I really wanted to do away with my phone+qdslrdashboard and have the timer do holy grail for me) but now I understand what a good intervalometer can do! No matter how much I screwed around with qdslrdashboard it just kept shooting away perfectly through the night.

I was also able to get ddserver on a GL-MT300N-V2 mango router very easily and control everything from my laptop instead of draining my phone all night.

Here's the result, not my first grail but certainly one of the easiest (I used to do this with magic lantern, much more painful back in 2012):

https://youtu.be/lAX-nveGrgg

Just wondering if you guys have any advice regarding exposure during the night? On my Canon 5dmk3 with 16-35 2.8 L I was shooting f8 on iso6400 for around 13 seconds. I was playing around a bit with the exposure and got up to 25 seconds to see what it would look like but it was quite bright and I wasn't too sure how well that would look in a timelapse. Personally I think the end result of my video was just a little bit too dark and I should have made my maximum exposure length longer from the start.

Or is it more just keep shooting and trying until you're happy with what you see?

and an additional question: has anyone done day to night to day? would it just be change qdslrdashboard to ramp to sunrise once you've hit night time?

Thanks!
#2 Gunther
First of all thanks for the nice words! Much appreciated that you like the Timer ;-)

Your footage indeed seems quite dark, there is not many stars visible, no milkyway etc. That's mainly because you shot with f/8, which doesn't make much sense. You should use the wides aperture that your lens provides to gather any light you can get. The faster the lens, the better. Then also, if you want to do something "real" apart from testing, go where you have the least light pollution and shoose a nice foreground for your shooting. Also go wide with your lens, if you can.

If you want to switch to night->day, just stop the ramping in qDDB once you hit the darkest spot and the settings are not changing anymore, then you can change to "sunrise" and activate the ramping again.

Just keep trying. A resource that will help you tremendously to avoid too much trial and error is my Ebook, where I put 10 years of experience with all this things into. https://lrtimelapse.com/buy/ebook/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Nick
Thanks Gunther! Love all your work!

I'll try with a much wider aperture thanks! This was of course just in my backyard so I can get the settings right.

I'm starting to go camping with my family so that should open up some more opportunities and I can pull out my dynamic perception dolly some time too!
#4 wernerjb
Which package of ddserver did you install in your router?

...also check out: