• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LR Classic 12 is now available, has it solved the export problem?

#1 chasg
I've had to downgrade back to 11.3.1 twice now, has anyone thoroughly tested LRC 12 to see if the export problem has been solved?
#2 magges
Hi chasg,

what export problem are you talking about?
1) The crash while exporting? Never saw it with LRC 11.x, also did not see it with LRC12 now.
2) Missing frames with error message at the end of the export? Did not see it with LRC12 until now, but did only 3 exports.
3) Low export speed? Export with LRC12 is still slow, I will go back to LRC11.3.1 again.

I am using an Apple M1 machine.

Best regards,
Markus
#3 Gunther
Personally I couldn't reproduce the Lightroom export issues with LR12 yet on my systems, but I'd like to hear from all of you about your experiences!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 chasg
I'll let you know (haven't shot a lot for clients lately, I need to get out and shoot some stock)
#5 chasg
Hi magges,

yes, in particular, the missing frames problem, the export speed problem, and the error message problem. I haven't experienced the LR crash while exporting problem. And I'm on an M1 Mac too (a Mini).

Fingers crossed LR 12 has sorted it all, some of those new features seem pretty cool.
#6 mdc1138
Hi magges -

what is the slow export problem with version 12?

I see you're on M1 chip, what OS version are you running?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
#7 magges
Hi mdx1138,
I am running macOS Monterey 12.6 on a M1 max with 32GB memory. I exported around 500 Canon CR3 files (26MP) to tiff with these results:
LRC 12 GPU usage auto: approx. 11 images per minute
LRC 12 GPU usage off: approx. 15 images per minute
LRC 11.3.1 GPU usage auto: approx. 24 images per minute
LRC 11.3.1 GPU usage off: approx. 24 images per minute
#8 chasg
thanks for those stats, @magges, much appreciated.

Anyone upgrading to LR 12 will notice that it'll generate a new version of the LR catalogue. I'm not sure that that catalogue will be backwards compatible with LR 11.3.1 (I assume so, but I haven't actually tried), if anyone felt they might need to revert back, to ensure they avoid the exporting issues.

Me, I tend to keep old catalogues (plus a few generations of backups), but I'm sure that many people delete the old ones once upgrades have been done. Until this vague (but limiting!) export problem has finally been solved, we mass-exporters should probably keep old versions of our catalogues, just in case.
#9 magges
You cannot open catalogs for LRC 12 with LRC 11, I tried it. Nevertheless I do not care much about the Lightroom catalogs with timelapse files. There are too many image files, the preview file will grow too large and the relevant meta data is in the XMP files anyway.

...also check out: