• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to fix double frame interval

#1 TonyM
I shot a day-night-day sequence in Aperture Priority with manual ISO adjustment to compensate for wide change in scene brightness. However in the very middle of the sequence I accidentally let the exposure time exceed the shot interval, so I have 100 out of 2300 frames at 24s interval rather than 12s.

The overall sequence renders very well in LRT6, but obviously the middle section is 2x speed. The camera was panning so the speed change is very noticeable.

I would like to duplicate each of the long frames to restore the proper angular motion of the camera. I could do this manually then renumber all the frames before re-compiling the sequence in DaVinci Resolve. Is there an easier way to automate this, such as making virtual copies in Lightroom and bringing those into LRT?

In future I will stick to Manual for better control. I only used AV this time so I could shoot some B-roll timelapse on another camera.
#2 Gunther
I don't think you will get a good result by doing so. But technically, you could just copy the affected files in Explorer/Finder, then paste them into the same folder. Usually you will get copies with different names. The sorting will happen by Exif-Date/Time so the name is not important.

Now, in Lightroom double check that the sort order in grid view (on the toolbar (T)) is set to Capture Time.
Right click on the folder to synchronize it, (maybe you need to turn off "skip duplicates" in the import dialog that comes up) this will bring the dupes into Lightroom.
If the sort order is correct, you can now export and render as usually.

PS: You need to work with physical copies, not virtual copies, since those would get removed by the LRTExport plugin!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 TonyM
Thanks for the good advice. I will try renders with and without the duplicate frames to see which I prefer. Neither option is ideal, but hopefully I can save my 8hr summer solstice & noctilucent cloud timelapse!

The virtual copies were easy to create in LR (select all affected files, right click, create virtual copies)

You are right that the LRT export plugin ignores virtual copies. However the default LR export does include the virtual copies and numbers all the output files in order.
#4 Ulli
You can try to use the motion blur feature from LRTimelapse with 1/2 speed for the part with the 24s interval or manually blend frame 1 and 2 in PS and save as new frame "1.5" or third, use a plugin like Twixtor pro to slow the part down. Just some ideas ...
#5 TonyM
Thanks for the suggestions. I've decided to cut out the double-speed section and replace it with a timelapse video clip that I was recording on my second camera at that time.
#6 TonyM
This is the finished timelapse :
https://facebook.com/groups/nlcaroundthe...538978284/
#7 Gunther
Well done! I also like that the distant clouds at the beginning move the same speed as the panning! :-)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: