• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRT Pro Timer 3 and Nikon Mup (mirror-up mode)

#1 crowley213
While my Fuji X-T3 is still in service I use our D750 for some time lapse and astrophotography shootings.

Today I wanted to use the Mup (mirror-up) function together with the LRT Pro Timer 3 in a shooting (moon sequence). While it worked in general I recognized that for every image to take the Pro Timer had to release the camera two times, first for mirror up and then to take the image.

Is this the normal / correct functionality or do I miss something in here, maybe whatever setting in the camera or in the Pro Timer?

I set the interval to two seconds, to give the camera enough time to settle down after mirror up, but based on the necessary exposure time I could have set a shorter interval. Is there any chance to set different intervals for mirror up and then taking the shot? Any other recommendations in here?

Sorry if these questions sound a little weird or basic, but shooting since quite some time mainly a mirrorless camera I do not need such a function at all and lost a little the insight into the D750.

Herbert
#2 Gunther
"mirror up" should not be combined with the LRT PRO timer, since, as you figured out it needs two releases.
But any Nikon camera has a delay feature, which you can set a delay of 0.5, 1, 2 secs etc. which will lift the mirror on DSLR for that time before exposing.

I usually don't recommend it for Timelapse (because it increases your dark time), but for very long lenses, weak tripods or short exposures it might be useful. If you really need it, use that. It will just add a delay between trigger and exposure and work perfectly with the LRT PRO Timer.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 crowley213
Good morning Gunther,

Thank you very much for the information.

The reason I am thinking to use that function is the fact that I use a focal length above 300mm and a relative short exposure time to not blow out the moon. I simply want to avoid any negative impact on sharpness caused by the mirror movement, even I shoot on a really stable tripod setup.

Herbert
#4 Gunther
Yes, as I said, those are exceptions where it makes sense. Just use the delay feature on the camera!

Sent mobile...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: