• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRT Pro Timer trigger signal type

#1 bmoo
Hello,
I wish to control an older Sony camera that only receives an IR shutter control signal. I need to use the camera in timelapse Bulb mode with longer exposures.
I experimented with a combination of inexpensive remote timer triggering a cheap Sony type infrared shutter release controller. The Sony controller here is simply used to convert the voltage trigger into infrared trigger. It does work.
But the problem with these timers is that they only send a trigger to release the shutter at the beginning and none at the end to close the shutter. The shutter will only close at the next ON trigger. Result: dark time = exposure time. That is not good for my purpose.
I wonder if the LRT Pro Timer sends on and off triggers to a camera in bulb mode. Or does it send a gate on/off signal instead?
I see in the specs: timelapse bulb time max as long as (interval-1 sec). Are two signals sent? one at the beginning and one at the end?
Any body got into this? I hope to get this working!

Thanks for your help
Christian
#2 Gunther
Hi Christian,
Basically on any release, the LRT PT connects release with ground on the beginning of the release and releases it at the end.
That means it's one trigger in different lengths (if you use bulb, otherwise it will be always the release time set in the settings). That's what 99% of all cameras require when being released via the release port.

Currently there is no option to have two independent signals for shutter open / shutter close.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 bmoo
Hi Gunther,
Thank you for the explanation. Searching on the web, I could not find it this basic technical info anywhere.
That means it is actually a "gate" signal that is sent to the camera. It seems that the infrared signal is not able to carry a "gate" signal. It only sends triggers. That's why on the small remotes, we have to press two times to open / close the camera shutter.
So I will have to turn the "gate release" into an inverted second "trigger" (signal to ground) in order for an infrared trigger to be sent to the camera. It should not be too hard.

Many thanks
Christian

...also check out: