• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRT3 holy grail - getting exposure jump between steps

#11 Gunther
Please check out the new tutorials, especially the holy grail tutorial where I explain how to do it:
http://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#12 petelondon
Hi Gunther,

Really enjoying using LRT3 - many thanks also for the tutorial.

I just have a query. You explain in the tutorial that sometimes, because of the way the camera calculates exposure, the ** and *** image auto-exposure matching in the HG Wizard doesn't give you a perfect match and that to be 110% sure you sometimes need to manually adjust exposure between ** and *** frames. I just want to confirm when you would manually adjust that to get that perfect match. In the tutorial you say you do this right at the end of the workflow, directly before you render and after you've calculated the auto-transitions.

The problem seems to be that if you wait until that point in the workflow, although the ** and *** frames that you've manually adjusted do now match, the jump occurs between the *** frame and the frame that follows it.

Am I understanding the process correctly? Or should I be making any manual adjustments to HG exposure jumps at the end of line 2 of the workflow, before reloading and going to line 3 and the auto-transitions.

Hope I'm being clear and thanks for advice.

Many thanks,
Peter
Wink
#13 chrissearle
(2013-07-31, 00:04)chrissearle Wrote:
(2013-07-30, 23:52)gwegner Wrote: The holy grail wizard works a little bit different, can you give me 2 more days to get the tutorial finished?

Sure. Will wait for that Smile

Just watched them. That new HG one looks great. Just off to test it Smile
#14 chrissearle
One other query - when doing the new HG - in the tutorial you show the colour four star process.

I can also see a crop - 5 star setting.

Can we do both together?
#15 Gunther
yes, currently you will have to select only the crop columns befor applying the 5 Star transition then (right mouse on crop table column header)
#16 chrissearle
Still struggling.

Initialize, Keyframes wiz, HG Wiz (accept defaults), Save.

Check in LR. 2 star to 3 star transitions are distinctly off - OK - as mentioned on the tutorial - this can happen if the camera isn't accurate enough.

Edit first 2 star. MTE for it's 3 star. Same for the second transition.

Back to LRT - add extra keyframes for colour (just first and last frame). Save.

Back to LR - edit first and last frame.

Back to LRT - Reload, Auto Trans. Special - choose 4 stars - and hit Calculate

At this point - the exposure line on the preview _also_ gets smoothed out. This is not what I'm seeing in the tutorial.

Can you spot what I'm doing wrong from the description here?
#17 chrissearle
(2013-08-03, 23:02)gwegner Wrote: yes, currently you will have to select only the crop columns befor applying the 5 Star transition then (right mouse on crop table column header)

So - let me see if I understand this.

This is a short HG with two jumps. Given that the HG stuff is done - I then want to do two things.

One is to adjust the colour of the first and last frame - the other is to change the crop for the entire run. In other words - I don't want to animate the crop - just move it. The reason is twofold - one - horizon is just slightly off. Two - just at the top of the default crop there is a sensor dust spot. I'd like to straighten and move down to get the horizon correct and the spot out of scope.

So - I'm not sure I entirely understand - do I set a square (4 star) on frame one and two? Or a triangle (5 star)?

A little confused
#18 Tayqun
I also suffer from the same issue. Try to do as it is shown in the video still I get these exposure jumps.

I am open to any suggestions please be frank Smile

Thanks.

Here is a link to my video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BCJ5ZREX...e=youtu.be

And I am attaching a snapshot from my sequence.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#19 Gunther
Hey guys please check out the new version 3.1 - redo your sequences and report back if it works now.
#20 Tayqun
(2013-08-08, 09:06)gwegner Wrote: Hey guys please check out the new version 3.1 - redo your sequences and report back if it works now.

I rendered my video again and upload it for you on youtube.

On general I still have this sudden exposure jump.. It seems that one of my HG Keyframes are overexposed, which does not make sense because as you seed 3 stops of difference can be tolerated in LR.

here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8xkZnrSc...e=youtu.be

Thanks,

...also check out: