• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

fastest programm to convert a large batch of photos from a jpg files to DNG files?

Brick
#1 nextbau
Hi erveyone,

i have two questions regarding my workflow with Lrtimlapse and LightroomClassic (or Adobe DNG Converter):

1) What is the fastest programm to convert a large batch of photos from jpg files to DNG files (speaking of 20k+ photos )? I am currenty using LightroomClassic for that but that often takes one or two days (a lot of time). Is Adobe DNG Converter faster?

2) Is it important that the jpg is embeded in the "new" DNG file for LRTimelapse to work? I think in the Adobe DNG Converter i can technacially untick this feature and only save a DNG file, without the original jpg file beeing embeded. This might save some time and memory on my computer...

Thank you very much in advance!!!

BEN
#2 Gunther
Adobe DNG Converter unfortunately cannot wrap JPGs into DNG. Your only option, if you want to go that route, would be Lightroom Classic.
Basically when converting a JPG to a DNG it will still be a JPG, just wrapped into a DNG container. The only reason to do so is that in LRTimelapse you will be able to use Visual workflow for DNG files, which is not possible for JPGs.
If there was any shortcut for this, I would have implemented it. Currently LRC is the only option and it has to be done manually, because Adobe doesn't offer any api for that.

I can only recommend to shoot Raw whenever you can. JPGs have many disadvantages and those stay if you wrap them into Dng.
A raw workflow will be so much faster and deliver more quality then if you shoot JPG.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 nextbau
Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately I can only take jpgs with the camera (Security camera). But thats fine - i just have to plan more time for my jjpg to dng conversions.. .

...also check out: