• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lightroom Export performance on Mac

#11 Gunther
Hi Thomas,
I've added the option for uncompressed TIFF to 6.5.3 beta 3 which I've just uploaded.
Please try and let me know!
https://lrtimelapse.com/download/beta
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#12 magges
Hi Thomas and Gunther,
Somewhen back in the past I had the feeling that the export in Lightroom got slower, but as multiple factors were changing on my side (cameras, computer, ...) I blamed it on them and did not care about it any more. I do not remember, when I noticed this. I usually start the export and do something else. But then I read the change log of beta 3 :p and I did a comparison:

2023-09-25 21:58:40 [INF] Running on: Mac OS X, aarch64, Locale: de_DE
2023-09-25 21:58:40 [INF] Mac Architecture: ARM (Silicon)
2023-09-25 21:58:40 [INF] OS Version: 13.6
2023-09-25 21:58:40 [INF] Runtime: 64 bit
2023-09-25 21:58:40 [INF] Found 10 processor cores.

518 DNG files with 5272 x 3948 -> roundabout 21MP.
Compressed TIF export from LR with LRTExport: 31 minutes.
Uncompressed TIF export from LR with LRTExport: 27 minutes.
Uncompressed TIF export from LR (without LRTExport): 8 minutes.

The difference of 4 minutes between compressed and uncompressed export with LRTExport is not important, but the other one is huge. I loaded the same frame from both exports into Photoshop as two layers with blending mode "difference". They are exactly the same, file size is also the same.

I checked the resource monitor for Lightroom
With standard LR export: CPU load around 900% (= 9 of 10 cores used) and GPU load around 85%.
With LRTExport: CPU load around 300% - 400% and GPU load 0% - 5%

This is strange, but it has nothing to do with the compression...
#13 magges
I _guess_ the export via LRTExport is strictly sequential (when one frame is finished, the export of the next file starts), the standard export can export multiple files in parallel.
#14 Gunther
No, I don't think so. LRTExport uses the API interface that Lightroom provides, basically it's just a frontend (with some logic) for the Lightroom export. This logic (for example distributing images from multiple folders into the correct export folders etc.) of course, costs some time.
#15 Gals
This is really interesting! Testing now the new option of uncompressed.

Export is time-consuming (M2 Max + 96GB RAM) - what would be the fastest setting to export? I'm exporting now 1900 photos, I'm around 965 now, and exactly at 3 hours - 61Mega Pixel from SONY A7R V.

Any tips on faster exports -

Is the original size faster than 4K or 8K? or is it faster to reduce the resolution?
Is it faster to go with TIF? or JPEG?
#16 Gunther
I suggest taking a sequence of like 100 images and compare the time needed for the different export options by yourself since it heavily depends on your machine and circumstances.
If you don't Want to use a stop watch:
The time for each export by LRTExport will be logged in the LRTExport.log which will be in your documents/lrtimelapse folder.
#17 magges
Hi Gunther,

for my hardware configuration, I found following dependency:
When using a "standard" color profile in the standard Lightroom export dialog (tested with "Adobe RGB" and "sRGB"), the GPU is used for export (80% load, 3 minutes for 425 images).
When using LRTExport (both Rec.709 or standard BT2020), the GPU is not used (5-10% load, 14 minutes for the same images). When using the standard Lightroom export with a special color profile (e.g. a BT2020), GPU is also not used and it takes long.

...also check out: