• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Masks on Keyframes - tip on adjusting exposure of the moon

#1 bporteus
Hi all,

I recently shot a sequence of a setting waxing crescent moon, and in the dark, the moon got over exposed. I'm struggling using masks to adjust the lighting for the moon in my keyframes. I am applying a mask to each of the keyframes where the moon is over-exposed, but when LRTimelapse executes auto transitions, the mask doesn't seem follow the moon in the newly rendered images.

Anything I might be doing wrong? Suggestion welcome.

Thanks for any tips. I'm having a blast as a hobbiest and really loving LRTimelapse 6.0.1.
#2 Gunther
You need to use the predefined masks that LRTimelapse creates on initialization. Those will get animated. Choose one, move it and resiize it on the very first image. Then edit the keyframes from left to right, bring all edits to the next keyframe and move the chosen mask to the desired position on each keyframe.
There is also a tutorial in the expert Tipps tutorials on how to animate masks.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 bporteus
Super thanks Gunther for the fast response and tips. Will watch that tutorial, too.
#4 bporteus
The tutorial was perfect: Episode #02: Animating Linear and Circular Gradients

I am excited to try to shoot the full moon this coming weekend. I wanted to confirm that when using masks in Light Room, it's fine not to use the LRTimelapse preset ones for general keyframe adjustments, but it is necessary when the mask needs animation.

For example, if I want to clean up the first keyframe in Light Room, and use masks to do that, the synch script will work. But, if I want to animate the luminosity (in this case to sharpen and manage exposure of the moon), then I use the preset ones (as explained clearly in the tutorial).

Do I have that right?
#5 Gunther
If you want to animate masks (position OR editing tools) you'd need to use the predefined from LRTimelapse. If you add additional ones, they can only be static (not change at all) across the whole sequence.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: