• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Maximize clip resolution and crop to leave flexibility for later processing?

#1 dwhitebread
I've been making edits in Lightroom and LRT based on the ultimate use of my clips. If I expected to use a clip in a 4k film, I would create the clip rendered to 4k with all cropping, zooming and panning done in Lightroom and LRT. Now I'm thinking of making all clips in full camera resolution, and making desired changes later in Premier.

Before I start down this path, may I ask what works well for you all? Is there any consensus on what works best, and provides the most future flexibility?

Thanks,
Don
#2 Gunther
I'd recommend to export in a higher resolution (for example 6K or original) and do the cropping and zooming in the video editor because then you'll know much better which crop to use to match the adjacent clips.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Danielb.photos
It of course depends on your needs and workflow.
But i always prefer to render full resolution in LRT without any Cropping etc.
Because if i need the clip for another project later i don’t have to re-render a clip because i use it in another way i originally intended.
I find myself quite often re-using clips in different creative ways i didn’t knew about when i shot the clip.
#4 dwhitebread
Thank you both for the replies. It's good to have confirmation. I should have thought of this earlier, but I think it started back when I was trying to conserve drive space. I suppose this means reworking a lot of old sequences, but for a good cause.
#5 dwhitebread
I'm using a 61MP camera, so exporting without cropping so I can render at Source Resolution takes forever. Overnight only gets me about 500 files on a fairly new iMac, and it's resolution that I'm not likely to need for a 4K film, even with some zooming and panning. I discovered that even though the Render window lists standard 4K, 6K, 8K, resolutions in Output Size, it will actually use only the longest dimension, and render at the same aspect ratio as the source file. This is very useful (and was probably an RTFM problem all along).

...also check out: