• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

More robust options for use of photos in portrait orientation

#1 Navanax
I'm not sure how many other people out there are doing this type of thing, but for me it would be very helpful if LRTimelapse was better able to deal with photos in portrait orientation. I do not own any type of a slider or other motion controller, so occasionally in order to get an additional dynamic element into my time lapse, I like to shoot in portrait orientation and then pan up or down through the frame over the course of the time lapse. However, right now LRTimelapse is very landscape-centric and always requires some extra screwing around to get a portrait oriented sequence to work.

Despite this, I still consider LRT one of the best things I've spent money on. Thanks, Gunther!
#2 Gunther
Hi, I'm afraid there are indeed not so much people working like that but I understand your position.
Currently you should not worry about rotation anything and then just apply the rotation as very last step in Lightroom.
But I will think about your request, I promise.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 elchick
(2013-02-13, 22:25)gwegner Wrote: Hi, I'm afraid there are indeed not so much people working like that but I understand your position.
Currently you should not worry about rotation anything and then just apply the rotation as very last step in Lightroom.
But I will think about your request, I promise.

Hi, Gunther -

If I could also chip in my request for this feature, that would be great. I also shoot portrait occasionally - for example, just last night I did a timelapse of a firework show and due to limitations with my position, I had to shoot it in portrait to capture the fireworks being lit on the ground and exploding in the sky. I understand it isn't a common orientation for videos, however, just having the preview in LRT switch from landscape to portrait would be a great boon.

To preface these comments, I have a Nikon D90, and there is a feature to have it automatically reorient the pictures in camera depending on what orientation it was in when shot. I know this carries over to Bridge when I import there, because it automatically reorients to the correct position.

When I imported my sequence into LRT, it shows all the exposures in the landscape orientation. However, when I imported them into Lightroom to continue the workflow, it automatically reoriented them to the correct (portrait) position. There must be something in either the metadata, or some other trigger that tells LR to reorient them. I am not a programmer, and have no idea how to even go about doing something as epic as LRT. However, one would think that there might be a way to have LRT read that trigger and respond the same as LR & Bridge do. I'll leave that in your capable programming hands, gwegner. However, it seems like it should be something that wouldn't be too hard to capture. If you need example files with that feature turned on/off to see what triggers it, let me know. I'll be more than happy to oblige. I just wanted to voice my opinion that this would be a nice feature to have, even if only for ease in creating a Ken Burns-like effect, as Navanax has mentioned.

Gunther, thanks again for an absolute gem of a product. The ease of using it and it's layout and sheer power make it indispensable. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
#4 Gunther
Hi Elchick,
I understand that demand and it is on my agenda but the priority is not that high. The next version will deal better with the orientation tag in the images and consider iit when making transitions etc, but there will still be no rotation of the preview because that's not that easy to implement as it looks like and as I said, currently there is a bunch of more important stuff that has to be done. Sorry...
Best
Gunther
#5 elchick
(2013-07-06, 10:16)gwegner Wrote: Hi Elchick,
I understand that demand and it is on my agenda but the priority is not that high. The next version will deal better with the orientation tag in the images and consider iit when making transitions etc, but there will still be no rotation of the preview because that's not that easy to implement as it looks like and as I said, currently there is a bunch of more important stuff that has to be done. Sorry...
Best
Gunther

I understand, Gunther. Thanks for taking the time to listen to us. You carry on with the important stuff and work on improving everything else. Just wanted to let you know that there are some of us who are also interested in having a rotating preview.

LRT is still the best time lapse tool available anywhere in the world, and I will be a customer for life! I'm impressed with everything from the functionality and power of the programming to the excellent service and prompt responses from you. You answered far quicker than I expected. You have an awesome program, and obviously care about those using it. I can't thank you enough for the great work you have done and continue to do. Thanks again, and keep up the good work!!
#6 Gunther
Thank you. I'm trying hard to give you the best TL-Software. That said I'm really excited of some features LRT3 will have, can't wait to share them with you all - thank you for your feedback!

...also check out: