• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ND filters/shutter speeds/flicker

#1 Paul T
Hi Gunther,

Thank you for the latest version of your eBook - I have read it with interest.

Could I ask you a couple of questions regarding ND filters, shutter speeds and flicker?

a) You say you shoot wide open when possible but don't use an ND filter. What shutter speeds are you happy to use? Is flicker a problem at high shutter speeds with your equipment?

b) If you want to shoot wide open (to avoid flicker) and it is a sunny day - will you use an ND filter? If so what is the best ND filter in your experience as I am finding they have bad colour casts.

Thank you for your help,
Paul
#2 Gunther
Hi Paul,
Quote:a) You say you shoot wide open when possible but don't use an ND filter. What shutter speeds are you happy to use? Is flicker a problem at high shutter speeds with your equipment?
I hardly have any issues with flickering due to short shutter speeds on my nikon. But nevertheless I prefer shooting with longer times to get near the 180 degree shutter explained in the book and blur out fast movements. But this is certainly not mandatory - it depends on the subject you are shooting. For example when shooting water longer exposures definitely pay off.

Quote:b) If you want to shoot wide open (to avoid flicker) and it is a sunny day - will you use an ND filter? If so what is the best ND filter in your experience as I am finding they have bad colour casts.
They all have color casts - but the can be corrected in Lightroom without problems. I once made a comparison between a high priced B+W and a low prices Haida, after correcting both looked same. My test in in German, but you can see the images here.

http://gwegner.de/blog/vergleich-der-gra...-vs-teuer/

Most of the time I shoot with the B+W (because I have it).
You can get it here.

All the best
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: