• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Non-linear interval ramping

#1 Avner
Hello Gunther, since I don’t own an LRTimelapse Pro Timer unit, I don’t really know if it has this feature already or not. From what I tried to figure out I didn’t see such a thing. In qDSLRdashboard such options for curved interval ramping do exist, but of course it’s not always so accurate, tend to crash often, etc. I wonder if the Pro Timer would have this in the future. This will give me another reason to purchase one.

Thanks!
#2 Gunther
Currently there is only linear interval ramping. To be honest: you wouldn't see the difference. I never understood why it would make sense to implement that different types of curves. I mean: we are talking about "Interval ramping". Not Motion Control or similar. Trust me, it would be a theoretical feature only. Personally I like to focus on features that are acutally helping with a real problem to not overload the timer.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Avner
Thank you for your answer. Yes, I understand. It’s not a must feature. However it could help, for example in situations when one wants to capture a specific event, say a full moon sets, using a telephoto lens. He can then position the tripod at evening time when it’s already dark, and start the timelapse with a very long intervals, say 30 seconds, ramping down to 2.5 sec interval when the moon sets – then if it’s a linear transition instead of – for example – a curved cubic one which could decrease the interval only a short time before the moonset, there could be too many unnecessary frames in between that will also take space on the card, or also a bit more battery power. Again those are the little details and I understand your point, I just thought it will be cool to bring this nice feature from DSLRdashboard to a more stable and accurate intervalometer like your product.
#4 Gunther
So why don't you just start the interval ramping later then, right before the moon set?!
Currently you'd need to do that manually, but we already have a feature request for setting a predefined time, maybe you'd like to join in: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-sch...al-ramping
#5 Avner
Predefined interval by future time is a very good solution, even with linear ramping. Thank you very much. If it will be possible to make several of these, it should be totally sufficient. In my imagination I’m thinking about solar eclipses timelapses for example, which will have a great use of this feature.
#6 Gunther
As I said in the other thread, from my experience the interval ramping is mostly useful when you are reacting manually to the situation you encounter. I don't think it's a good idea to try to fully program a complex timelapse in advance. You will never know about the real situation upfront and chances that you'll mess it up are high.
If I implement timed interval ramping in the future, there will certainly only be one delay time, not multiple. One of my main goals is also to keep the user interface as clean and concise as possible.

...also check out: