• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Not your normal flicker?

#1 big0mike
https://youtu.be/_D-tvCpIpkk

I'm getting better. :crossfingers:

In this day to night to day timelapse there is an aodd flicker about 45 seconds in. It doesn't seem to be "normal" flicker, just a section of the sky, not the rocks in the foreground. And there is some banding in the sky as it turns from night to day as well.

Curious what thoughts anyone may have on either issue?

I will admit that at some point when I thought it was as dark as it was gonna get, I fell asleep with my alarm set for 90 minutes before sunrise. I woke up around 1a and, since I was up, I checked the exposure and it was significantly brighter than I felt it should be. I adjusted, and went back to sleep. I could see this creating banding in the darker images as LR would have to make harder adjustments but I don't think the night images would have affected the dawn images.

In LR Timelapse, I followed my normal routine and the LR Timelapse export was not working for me on this project so I exported via LR and assembled in Premiere. I know I did at least a two pass flicker routine and I may have done that two pass routine a second time trying to get rid of the flicker at 45 sec. I can't remember the value I used on the flicker routine and, to be honest, I couldn't tell you what the numbers mean Sad

Thanks for any input!

Mike
Michael Stevens
WideOpen.media
#2 Gunther
You should watch my Expert Tips Video #5 about how Lightroom can introduce Contrast Flicker and how to avoid this. https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/expert
But watching your video I see that during dawn the images are simply overexposed in the sky. That's what causes that effect. The Highlights are blown and after the Holy Grail Adjustments to darker images they are ok for a moment before they blow again.

While ramping the holy grail you need to take care to not blow the hightlights. Rather expose less. Blown highlights are lost and cannot be recovered in post processing.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 big0mike
Wow... you are right. I don't typically look through image by image but just did so and from 4:50a to 5:08a the light changed quickly and I while I seemed to have caught it, I did not properly compensate for it. Then again from 5:28a to 6:10a as the sun crested the horizon and started to illuminate the background scene I was already overexposed which blew out another group of images.

I felt pretty confident at the time that I was managing the exposure properly but I believe I was trying to get a nice, blue, morning sky way too early in the rise of the sun so when it actually was supposed to be blue, it was blown.

Great info in video 5. I know I'll have to revisit it to remember everything...

Thanks,

Mike
Michael Stevens
WideOpen.media
#4 Gunther
Some tips to get the exposure right in difficult situations:

- Set your camera to a flat JPG profile (this will affect the preview and histogram, not the raw file)
- Observe the RGB Hisogram while shooting. Make sure that none of the single RGB Channels is blown.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: