• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ordering images by capture not filename

#1 spatience
Folks,

I took around 2000 images on my camera today. My camera clicked over DSC_9999 and started back at DSC_0001. The memory card made 3 folders for them. After transferring them onto my PC hard drive, I've combined all images into a single folder.

After loading them into LR Timelapse, the filename order is starts at DSC_0001 which is not the first image of the shoot. I need to order them by the date / time captured. However it seems LR Timelapse won't allow me to do that.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Stephen
#2 Gunther
If you installed exiftool and initialize the images in rLRTimelapse, it will add date/time information and sort accordingly by default.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 NeilP
If you can't get LRT to do it, or you just want sequential file numbering for personal preference, try a batch file renamer like Name Mangler

Looks like they have made it a paid for app, although a good price. It used to be free. I have free older version if you would like a copy.
#4 snahl
(2012-06-02, 20:40)gwegner Wrote: If you installed exiftool and initialize the images in rLRTimelapse, it will add date/time information and sort accordingly by default.

...sort accordingly to what exactly?.

-datetimeoriginal outputs the YYYY:MM:DD hh:mm:ss only

Taking shots within the same second (like for HDR) then there must be another value to distinguish the order of shots taken within the same second.

I modified the related values of ExifIFD:SubSecTime (original, digitized) but achieved no change in the sort order.

Also LRTL2 does not sort on filename according to Lightroom.
For instance:
In LRTL2, NK123456.NEF is listed after NK123456-a.NEF. In Lightroom it's the other way around (which to me seems as it should be).

It's the dash (-) in the file that name screws up the sort order. To correct this situation the dash must be removed or changed to something like an underscore (_).
The reason is that whenever JAVA sees a dash (-) it assumes that it must calculate something, even when there is nothing to calculate.
Welcome back to the freedom of naming files in the stone age.

The essence of all this is that:
it seems that the file name value has precedence over the value of [Composite:SubSecDateTimeOriginal].

Please allow an option in LRTL2 to force the sort order by the time AND also (instead of time) by file name in textual form. This would result in an order like this:

img1
img10
img100
img11
img20
img200
img21

Naming files in textual form require leading zeros.

img0001
img0010
img0011
img0020
img0021
img0100
img0200

I know that you know all that.
It's just somewhat confusing in LRTL2.
Just make LRTL2 sort 1:1 like in Lightroom does and all is well.
Dig-IT-all

...also check out: