• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Problems with Flicker on Fade Out

Video
#1 jared.kail@gmail.com
Hello! Love LRTimelapse and really enjoy the process. However, on the last two videos I've done of a sunset, I seem to introduce flicker as the sun fades out. Here is an example: https://youtu.be/y4p77zaifmk

I love the video, but at around 20 seconds you see it start to jitter as the sunset fades out. When I pull the raw, unedited files into LRT and hit "play", the fade is perfect (but, of course, the rest needs work.) After I edit the sequence and render it, the flicker at the end becomes very noticeable.

Note that I am not utilizing the Holy Grail, as that actually seems to make the flicker worse.

I shoot with fixed shutter speed and aperture and ISO set to Auto.

I'm trying to diagnose how I am introducing the flicker, but can't seem to come to any conclusions. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for such a great product!

Jared
#2 Gunther
Did you already try to apply a multipass deflicker with a reference area to the center of the image?
Deflicker might be difficult for the very dark images at the end because there is not much information in those images.

Usually you wouldn't do that kind of fade out in LRTimelapse by editing keyframes. Instead, if you would like to do a "fade out" you'd better do it in a video editor and rather edit the keyframes in LRTimelapse brighter.

Just from seeing the video it's difficult to advise, but please try to set the reference are to the center part of the sky and apply a couple of deflicker passes. If that doesn't help make the keyframes brighter so that there is actually more information in the images to process.

One last measurement could be to add a decent amount of motion blur when rendering, this will smooth out residual flicker.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 jared.kail@gmail.com
Thanks Gunther! I appreciate your reply. That render had been deflickered with a 4-phase pass with high sensitivity using an animated reference that moved from the entire sky in the first frame to the center section about 20 seconds in. Unfortunately it resulted in that jitter.

I finally nailed it by exporting another version with no changes at all applied, which gave the ending I wanted, and then blended them together in Premiere to give a final smooth version. Worked out perfectly. https://youtu.be/28UtGft7PQ0

Thanks again for your help. Keep up the killer work!

...also check out: