• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Recommend cheap phone/tablet

#1 lerroy
Hi All

Can anyone recommend a cheap older phone or tablet that works well with DSLR dashboard via USB /OTG ?

I have a HTC one m7 which works great but whilst im shooting im normally playing with it to passs time Smile

I picked up a 2nd hand galaxy s3 mini but wont work with USB Sad
#2 carlso2
I've only used this with wifi, not usb... but...I can tell you that the Samsung - Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 - 8GB works fine with it. They may not be any cheaper than the tab 3 model. Somewhere under $200. Like $150 - $190 Check Amazon or Craigslist for a used one.
#3 lerroy
Thanks Ill have a look.

Unfortunately no craigs list in New Zealand and electronics tend to be a bit costly here...

Anyone had any success with a Samsung Galaxy S 2 ?
#4 Gunther
AFAIK the new qDslrDashboard needs Android 4 - so you would have to use a rooted with Cyanogenmod or similar.
I would recommend the Nexus 7, in my opinion that's the best option.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 lerroy
Thanks Gunther, Nexus 7's are not that cheap over here even 2nd hand ones, phone would be smaller to carry with as well.

I just tested the s2 (old phone) already has a custom rom works perfect so that will save me Smile
#6 hubaiz
Yep I'm still with a S2 and works (actually it was the first phone that had USB host). Only draw back is the small screen and resolution
I would also recommend the Nexus 7 (2012 or the 2013 model). Constant updates from Google, no bloatware and works nice.
#7 lerroy
OK you won me over with the nexus talk

I was able to get a 1st gen for a pretty good price.

Thanks for the advice Smile

...also check out: