• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rendered Videos not playing in Windows 11

#1 Levin
Hi, this may very likely be a windows problem but thought I would start here. I am a long time user of LRTimelapse on my windows 10 computer. I had all the correct codecs installed and everything worked perfectly. I upgraded my computer to windows11 about a month ago and since then every video I render will not play in any video app like media player, Film and TV, VLC. The LRTimelapse, Lightroom and render processes all work perfectly and a video is produced without any issues. It simply won't play.

After a fair bit of experimenting, I have discovered that using Colour Sampling 422 is causing the issue. If I create a video in 420, it works fine on windows 11. Creating in 422 had no issues on my windows 10 computer but just won't play on my windows 11 desktop or laptop.

I'm just trying to establish if there is anything I can do with LRTimelapse to get this up and running again? Uninstall/reinstall? Adjust any settings? Or is this definitely a windows issue? Any suggestions in relation to getting windows 11 to play my 422 videos would also be appreciated.

Thanks. Levin
#2 Gunther
Usually you shouldn't install any 3rd party codecs on your system. They mostly do more harm than good.
Use a good video player instead.
The best for windows is MPC-HC.
See this FAQ post for the download link:
https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-whi...-rendition
I've tested it with a H.265 file in 422 color rendition and it plays fine.

On a side note: 422 is usually not played back by the system's players because this is a color sampling only useful for further processing.
For direct playback you should render in 420 color sampling and only use higher qualities for further processing in video editing programs like Davinci Resolve and Premiere Pro, those will natively support all formats.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Levin
Thanks Gunther, appreciate the reply and education.

...also check out: