• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Severe Flicker, can't figure out a solution

#1 jjungphotography
So I've got an overnight timelapse from a few years back.

Night Sky, Moonlight, and palm trees moving in the wind (which I think is the culprit)

Towards the end of the sequence, it starts to transition to day, but the middle zone is fairly the same, but LRT it seems is creating nonstop flicker, even when I try and use a more constant setting, or apply deflicker without. I've ever tried selecting the sky only as a reference but that doesn't work great either. I even used a plugin later to remove more deflicker and it did help, but still has a bad issue.

Also there is no whites, blacks, texture, clarity, or dehaze being used.

Any suggestions?

DROPBOX to video / photo of the LRT panel: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z2bzreyt63b33...fw0Ma?dl=0
#2 Gunther
It might be Lightroom introducing that flicker. Please watch my expert tips video #5 to learn how to deal with this:
https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/expert/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 jjungphotography
Thanks,

Definitely helped the satr timelapse!

However, with Mavic 2, and Mavic 3 I'm trying the same solution but still getting flicker in some dramatic scenes. I'm wondering if its because there is no "profile Brwoser" for these DNG files and we're stuck using Adobe Profiles... Any workaround here? I think Premiere hates those DJI DNG files..
#4 Gunther
The only thing you can do is avoiding the non-linear tools. But those Mavic DNG files are already processed, those are not "real" Raw files like from DSLR or DSLM cameras. They might be preprocessed already and therefore harder to edit.
#5 tazztone
did a hyperlapse sequence (dng) with DJI mini3pro and after watching expert tip #5 video LRtimelapse was only used with "linear tools":
WB/Tint
exposure
texture +25
saturation +15
curve (lights -50, darks +50)

that supposedly should not introduce any flicker or color jumps, as opposed to Non-linear (context-sensitive) sliders contrast, shadows/highlights, clarity, dehaze etc). yet you can see the result for yourself:
https://youtu.be/iHLDhFbTEgs

importing the dng sequence to davinci resolve directly it has (almost) no flicker. any explanation? maybe the linear tools aren't linear anymore? :/
#6 Gunther
It's hard to say, we don't know exactly the nature of those DNG files from DJI, we don't know how Lightroom develops them etc. Hyperlapses and especially Dronelapses are often difficult to process because of their nature with much bigger changes, shifts etc, than static timelapses. It requires a bit of trial and error. In you case, I think, with a reference are on the sky in LRTimelapse and some passes of deflicker, you should be able to smooth that out.
#7 tazztone
with a reference are on the sky in LRTimelapse and some passes of deflicker: i now have flicker in the terrain and the sky is clean.
so in the end lightroom is unusable for dronelapses even with linear tools? :/
#8 Gunther
I cannot answer this in general as I already tried to explain.
Try different ways of editing, for example with the tone curve. Maybe that helps.
#9 fdisilvestro
Hi,

DJI DNG files are not processed files but standard raw. You can open them in a tool like RawDigger to check this. You could also pre-process them in a tool like DXO Pure raw, which will not work if those weren't real raws.

Those DNGs have an embedded profile (as well as lens correction parameters) that LR / ACR applies automatically (you cannot disable lens corrections), but you can change the profile.

Other software do not apply this automatically, such as Capture One, or Rawtherapee, and I would guess that davinci Resolve neither does.

The issue here is that there are not many profiles available. You can build your own, if you have a colour reference card such as the ColorChecker.

Another possibility is to use a linear profile (not available for all models) created by Tony Kuyper (known for the Photoshop Luminosity Masking) here: https://goodlight.us/linear-profiles.html
#10 tazztone
unfortunately no profile is available for mini3 yet. only :

Air 2S FC3411
Inspire FC6520
Mavic Pro FC220
Mavic 2 Pro (same as Hasselblad L1D-20c)
Mini 2 FC7303
Phantom FC330
Phantom FC6310
Phantom FC6310S

but yea even LR doesn't have the "adobe color", "adobe landscape" etc color profiles for mini3 yet. which i don't understand. mini2 had it

...also check out: