• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SRGB missing from export v.5.5.5

#1 MrDavo
Just upgraded to v. 5.5.5 b. 685
Looking at my rendered movie the colors are quite different than Lightroom (the movie is washed out compared to Lightroom).
This happened last year and I found I had accidentally switched to exporting Adobe RGB, not SRGB
So I thought the switch might have been flipped during the upgrade, but now when I check, the export dialog in Lightroom is missing any option for SRGB or Adobe RGB. What am I missing?

Davo
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
Hi, sRGB and AdobeRGB are photo colors paces, which have always caused trouble when converting into the required video color spaces. In LRTimelapse 5.5 I've redone the whole color management in order to produce much better colors. I've explained that in this video, please check it out: https://lrtimelapse.com/news/lrtimelapse-5-5/
I'd recommend to leave the export on the default settings (don't use the Rec-709 option in the Exporter) and then just choose Rec.709 in the Video Render Dialog.
Since you wrote that your colors look washed out, I guess you might have been rendering in Rec.2020 and used a player or edit
that cannot deal with that.
Rec.709 is the default color space in video, which most players understand.
Also check out this faq for choosing a good video player. https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-whi...-rendition
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 MrDavo
Gunther,

The video was helpful to understand some of the options, but unfortunatley I haven't gotten any further. I recorded a quick example of what I'm experiencing. hopefully you can tell me what I'm missing or getting wrong.

https://youtu.be/EGePyS9u0do

Thanks

Davo
#4 Gunther
Hi Davo, thanks for the video. I see your problem, unfortunately this is not really related on how LRTimelapse creates the videos, it seems to rather be a problem with the Quicktime player and color management in general on Mac when combined with a Wide Gamut Monitor.

First of all let me say that the intermediary sequences that you exported from Lightroom are in Rec.2020 color space - they look quite close to Lightroom, that could mean that the native Image viewer does correct color management, but since they seem to be a bit off, it could also mean that it doesn't do any color management at all but you are using a wide gamut monitor that interprets the colors similar to Rec.2020 - at least in the range of colors that are used in those images. This concerns the photo side only.

Now with video it gets even more complicated.
We know that there are huge issues on mac when it comes to video color accuracy if you use a wide gamut P3 display.
Additionally the Quicktime player doesn't even seem to be able to properly distinguish between legal and full range. Normally both option should look quite the same because it's the player whose duty it would be to scale a legal the range correctly to full range. What you see is that this doesn't happen. On the other side, the full range material seems to get falsely interpreted by the player or OS and therefore displayed too saturated.

I've discussed this issue on mavc with a professional colorist and videographer that works on mac on a daily basis and is used to deal with such issued. Please check this thread for an explanation what's going on. Let's continue the discussion in that thread, if necessary: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-fin...1#pid47501
#5 MrDavo
Gunther, I'm finally getting back to this. I think after a few hours of reading, I understand more or less what's going on.
And after some tests, it seems to me that if I export from LR as Rec.709 and then in LRT choose Gamut Rec.709 and Video Levels Legal, I should end up with a workflow that's the same as I was getting before LRT 5.5. Is that right? I'm using an iMac Pro (p3 monitor), and I intend to keep using Premiere Pro which I believe is pretty. much stuck in a Rec.709 world. I can see that the video I finally produce is slightly desaturated from LR, but not much. I can accept it as 'good enough'. Am I on the right track? I thought color management with Still Photography was enough to learn, but with video it's a nightmare. It's like a freeway with too many on-ramps and off-ramps...

Davo
#6 Gunther
I'd recommend to export from LR with the default settings (not Force Rec709) and then render in LRTimelapse as Rec.709.

...also check out: