• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Multi-Sequence export failed. You might have selected a parent folder . . .

#1 markj
When exporting, I've always created a new output folder in the "Output path:" called 'Video export' that is a child folder of the folder in which the original raw images are stored. And then Lightroom uses the "Name of the sequence" in the LRT export dialog to create a folder inside 'Video export' that contains the intermediate images used to build the video. After the export is complete, the resulting video has always been created inside the 'Video export' folder alongside the folder containing the intermediate exported image folder.

Since upgrading to the latest versions of Lightroom Classic (11.1) and LRTimelapse (5.8), this procedure fails with:

'Multi-Sequence export failed. You might have selected a parent folder instead of child folder(s).'

Why doesn't my export process work any more?
#2 Gunther
That message tells you that the timelapse source folder that you are trying to export has other subfolders inside. That doesn't work. You need to make sure that every timelapse image folder is a "child-folder" without any subfolders inside.

In this example A has a subfolder B which also contains images.

My Timelapses
--A
-- |--B

in that case you cannot export from A and will get that message.
Just move B to the same level as A, and it will work, like:

My Timelapses
--A
--B

In this case you can export from A or B and even from both as a batch rendering, if you select both folders on the same level.

I've explained this in the tutorial "Speed up editing of multiple timelapse sequences" on https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/advanced/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 markj
Thanks, Gunther - based on your explanation I moved the image folder so that the folder containing all of the raw images, processed in LRT, has no child folders.

Here are the parameters I pass to the LRT export panel:

Output path: [the folder containing the raw images - it has no folders inside it, only image files]
Name of sequence: Sunrise_-_21_dec_2021 <--This seems to be generated automatically based on the name of the parent folder of the output path.

When I click on the "Export" button, a new folder is created inside the output folder named 'LRT_Sunrise_-_21_Dec_2021'. The export process says 'Preparing to Export', then I am shown the following message:
=====================
Multi-Sequence export failed.
You might have selected a parent folder instead of child folder(s).
Please always select the direct child folder which contains your images.

Timelapse sequences must not have subfolders.

Select: Stills
instead of: Sunrise - 21 Dec 2021

You can select multiple child folders, by holding the shift-key.

=====================

The 'Stills' folder is at the same level in the folder hierarchy as the folder containing all the images. The only subfolder to the folder containing the images is created during the export process.
#4 Gunther
You need to differentiate between the location where you have your raw timelapse sequences and the "output Folder" which will hold the intermediary sequences (Exported Tiffs or JPGs in Folders that begin with LRT_) and the video files.
You should not define the Outputpath as "Child" of your Raw sequences, that won't work as you are seeing.

Did you watch my Tutorials on https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/ - there I explain the concept in detail.

Basically to avoid such complications you should have a location for your Raw Sequences, like a folder called "Timelapse RAW", where all the Raw sequences go, like:

Timelapse RAW
-- Shooting 1
---- Timelapse 1
---- Timelapse 2
etc.

It's important that only "Timelapse 1" and "Timelapse 2" actually have images in them. The other folders are only for organization.

Your Output Path must be set to another location, under a folder "Timelapse Done" somewhere.
If you work with folder for shootings, just set the Output folder to Timelapse Done\Shooting 1

The Export will then create the exported files in subfolders with Prefix LRT_ like:

Timelapse Done
-- Shooting 1
---- LRT_Timelapse 1
---- LRT_Timelapse 2

The Video files will also end up in the folder that you defined as "Output folder".

Hope I made it more clear now. It's also all explained in Detail in my EBook: https://lrtimelapse.com/buy/ebook/
#5 markj
Thanks again, Gunther - I think I finally 'got it'. To my way of thinking - and the way I have organized my time lapse sequences for LRT for so many years (I have been an LRTimelapse user since 2012!) - the intermediary sequences as well as the final exported videos really are "children" of the raw image files. So I have a hard time understanding why it is no longer possible to organize folders this way. If you don't mind my asking - why was this change made?

Thank you again for the patient support, and for your great work in making and continuing to improve LRT!

Best regards and Happy Holidays!
#6 Gunther
Hi, that was like this from the beginning. It's possible that initially it didn't throw that error, but latest with LRTimelapse 5. 0 and the batch export options (see the tutorial about speeding up the export of multi TL) I needed to generate that error message. But that was also more than 4 years ago.

...also check out: