• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sun Jumps during Exposure Jumps

#1 eperry
So I'm pretty new to LRtimelapse, but I love the product. After 2 days of trial I bought it instantly.

I shot a Holly Grail time lapse a week ago in Seattle. I wanted to get the sun disappearing behind the mountains beyond the body of water I was shooting over. The exposure corrections and color correction worked great, and I was able to get everything exposed and gradually going the directing I wanted it to go. The only issue I have is the actual sun mass as it moves toward the mountains jumps in brightness when I changed the exposure to compensate for daylight. The orb of light would have a couple bright jumps, and then after it went over the mountains there were 2 to 3 jumps from rays of light that shot toward the clouds.

So here is my question. 1. Is there a way to correct for this in LRtimelapse without effecting the over all exposure. Keep in mine that this has to match the previous frame perfectly. Or 2. Is there a technique I can use to keep the sun from jumping in exposure like this. I believe that I adjusted atleast one stop each time I changed exposures.

I've read a few people's posts about changing only 1/3 stop, and even Gunther says to us the EV settings to assist with exposure changes. So I guess I'm also wondering what the best way to adjust exposure is. (P.S. going to look into qDSLRdashboard soon aswell.)

Example Video-Last Clip
#2 Gunther
qDslrDashboard makes things easier, since it allows you to evenly make 1/3 stops. Smaller stops help with the changed sizes of clipping arond the sun. Additionally it's recommend to expose less, to prevent the sun from blowing so much.

The "pumping" effect is due to clipped ares getting smaller after the adjustment.
You could try to smoothen it out a bit with by pulling down the highlights in lightroom, but you won't be able to completely remove it for a sequence that shows that effect I fear.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 eperry
Thanks!

I believed I did over expose. I generally have a very small amount of my sky over exposed and pull it back with the highlights slider. This way I can boost my shadows and prevent any blue grain showing up in high dynamic shots. I'll attempt my next shoot with exposing properly focusing on getting the sun right and see what results bear. I'm going to see if the weather works out this weekend and try using DSLRdashboard to shoot it.

Thanks for the tips, and I'll attempt using 1/3 stops with dslrdashboard this go around.

...also check out: