• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The holy grail - day to night time lapse tutorial

Video
#1 Gunther
This is an old tutorial. Please watch the new one:
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-the-...imelapse-2
---------

Today I'm going to show you some really cool tricks that you might not know.

We are going to edit a sequence from Baltic Skies (http://gwegner.de/​to/​balticskies).

My main focus is to show you a very good way to master the holy grail of time lapse photography - the transition between day and night.

I explain working with key frames and the auto-transition and we will also have a closer look at the heavily improved ken-burns-style pan-and-zoom capabilities of LRTimelapse 1.4.

If you already work with LRTimelapse or are planning to use it, you definitely shouldn't miss this tutorial.

[Video: http://vimeo.com/26083323]
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#2 Bas
Thank you for this great tutorial.

I tried it out yesterday (in raw) so I dont get the nasty jitter anymore.

This is the result, with four exposurebumps. Very happy with it, although in can be tweeked some further

[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC3uBqkcSNE]
www.thetimewriters.com - recording the future
#3 SunboX
really really really great! I will try it today. I´ve one sequence with two exposure jumps. I had given up, trying to eliminate these jumps. Would be great if that works now. :o)

thx a lot!
Sunny
#4 motleypixel
So would the safest method to "chirp" exposure during the TL be adjusting ISO only? Seems that shutter would throw a kink into the movement blur and aperture could shift dof/focus some?

Thanks,
Roy Niswanger
motleypixel.com
#5 Gunther
ISO is the best way, but shutter is fine as well. I often start with iso and switch over to shutter when reaching critical ISO-heights!
Avoid aperture changes whenever you can, shoot always wide open!
#6 JoseAlonsoLeon
Oh wow....I can do my Ken Burns effects right into LR using LRTL support. What I just saw in this tutorial gives us much more options to animate and better results then apying the Ken Burns effects in Final Cut Pro X from what I can observe.

Thanks this is very helpful.
#7 Joost
Great step-by-step tutorial, Günther, thanks!

I have followed the same procedure many times before, but there is one thing I keep struggling with: that exposure hump you get when the exposure was changed on camera (ISO / shutter). I am using LRTimelapse 1.9.4 now, and LR4. My biggest problem is that just using LR4 exposure does not achieve the desired result; it is my understanding that this affects the midtones more in some 'smart' way than the 2010 process did. With dark scenes I find it possible to get a close enough result, but in very bright scenes I have trouble getting the two consecutive frames around the bump to match. For this purpose, would you recommend using the 2010 process over the 2012 process?
Just one more check: local adjustments with the adjustment brush are not supported by LRTimelapse as of yet, correct?

Thansk for all of your hard work! Keep it up!
#8 Gunther
Hi, you are right, local brush adjustments are not supported. You will have to sync them manually in lightroom.

Regarding the matching: if you speak of bright images - please make sure they don't have blown highlights, because in that case you will never get a decent matching.

Normally you get perfect results by only adjusting the exposure. Just don't make too much other adjustments, because they could affect the different exposed images differently. In my opinion the 2012 process does work better than 2010.

In some case you will have to experiment a bit or go for a 2-pass workflow where you only make the holy grail adjustments in the first step.

Please consider that this video is somewhat old and the workflow between LRT und LR changed in the never Versions of LRTimelapse. I'm going to make new Tutorials soon.

...also check out: