• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Timer 2.5 black screen after rain

#1 Tokyoshot
I got caught in the rain while shooting an important sequence and did my best to protect the gear from the raindrops. Unfortunately a half an hour later nothing will be displayed anymore. Has anybody experienced this, what would be the best solution to that? Just wait until it (hopefully) starts to operate again or try open it in order to dry quicker?
thanks in advance,
Krzysztof
#2 Gunther
Hi Krzysztof,
sorry to hear about this.
I'd open the case (explained on https://lrtimelapse.com/lrtpt/faq (at the bottom, where I explain exchanging the button cell battery). Remove the circuit board, dry everything carefully. Pull off the big LiIon Battery. Put everything into a sealed box with some packs of silica gel (or rice) to dry it. Don't use heat!! Leave it over night.

Don't power it up, until everything is completely dry!

Without the Li-Ion Battery, connect to USB, see if it powers up.
If so, the circuit board still works.
I'd recommend to exchange the Li-Ion Battery, to prevent any accidents should it got damaged. Li-Ion Batteries are no toys, I'd not recommend to continue using it. But that's your own rist.

Please note: the LRT PRO Timer is not meant to be used in Rain. It's not water sealed and such damages are not covered by the warranty.

If anyone gets cought by rain, quickly put a good cover (plastic) over the timer to prevent it from getting wet!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Tokyoshot
Big thanks, Gunther for your quick and comprehensive response. I will follow your description and post here again if I succeeded or not.
#4 Tokyoshot
The board is working again!
The li-ion battery seems to be fine as well (dry and not warm).
Could I actually use it with a detached battery and power up from a power bank for the next 2 weeks? I’m traveling a lot in the moment and not able to get a new battery.
BTW, where to get a new one in Germany? A link would be highly appreciated!
#5 Gunther
Hi, sure, you operate the LRT PRO Timer without the internal battery, just from a USB power source.
Just search for the Battery Name (printed on the battery). You should find sources online.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#6 mopperle
You can get a replacement via amazon. The product number can be taken from the old battery. Gunther somewhere mentioned the exact model, but I cant find his post anymore.
Gruß/regards

Otto
#7 Tokyoshot
I was shooting a lot content in Tokyo today, it all went well, thanks again for providing tech support. I’ll buy a new battery after this trip.
#8 Tokyoshot
Hi Gunther,
the Protimer died again today, even though I was operating it with an external power supply. It has probably been damaged by the rain before, there was no fluid involved since then.
Now, I’m still in Japan right now. I could either order it on Amazon (delivery would be Saturday) but I’ll try getting it from Koichiro Oka, maybe it’ll be faster.
#9 Tokyoshot
I have an additional question, is the performance of the the PT 3.0 identical to the 2.5? I (exposure times vs. intervals)
#10 mopperle
Scroll down to the end of the page, there are the differences listed. Not sure what you mean with performance.
https://lrtimelapse.com/lrtpt/
Gruß/regards

Otto

...also check out: