• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Issues with Holy Grail wizard luminance compensation

#1 NickRedd
To start, I just want to say that I freaking love LRTimelapse Smile
It's always been very very good to me, and I to it (usually, haha)

Anyway, I've recently been having some issues with the Holy Grail Wizard's compensation levels in the visual workflow for some rather large sequences (2200+ images)--instead of sort of mirroring the preview lum as you might usually expect, there are two areas (transition from day to night and transition from night to day) where the compensation levels go overboard and darken the first sunset frames to almost black and brighten first sunrise frames to almost white

http://imgur.com/a/vLZBv

I have not yet pinpointed the issue (which is why I'm coming here, haha)--I used GBTimelapse to bulb ramp my camera (an SL1). What is interesting to note, however, is that I seem to only have these problems when my camera was in bulb mode during shooting; everything worked perfectly in a similar shoot in which I instructed GBTimelapse to just use preset shutter speeds instead of calculating it's own shutter speed (i.e., 20" vs 20.7" and 30" vs 29.8"). I also set GBTimelapse to stop increasing bulb speed at 30".

Also, I'm curious--how are the HG luminance compensation levels calculated?

(also, gwegner--you are an inspiration to an aspiring young photographer and software developer)
#2 Gunther
Hi Nick, thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate your feedback.
LRTimelapse supportes exif parameters in 1/3 stops only. So if you use any ramping device make sure that it use the descrete native camera values (1/3 stops) and not smooth intermediary values, because the holy grail wizard is not designed to work with those.
If you use bub ramping, I'd suggest to skip the holy grail wizard and use the visual deflicker only.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 NickRedd
It worked beautifully! Thanks so much

...also check out: