• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Visual deflicker not working on a Holy Grail sequence

#1 philipwalton
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if there's a bug with the software, but no matter what I try I cannot seem to get two timelapse sequences I shot last week to properly compensate for the holy grail technique (which I did manually during the shot).

I've done this many times in the past with success, so I'm not sure if I'm forgetting a step or if a recent update to LRTimelapse changed something or introduced a bug. I also went back and rewatched the official Holy Grail tutorial (https://youtu.be/PafMIcw2QaY), but as far as I can tell, I'm following the steps in that video exactly.

After multiple attempts to deflicker the sequence (using both LRT 5.8 and 6.0.beta.5), the pink line still looks like this sawtooth shape [1]. It's essentially unchanged from before I applied the deflicker step

Note that I've tried using both regular and multi-pass, as well as the more, default, and less settings. Nothing results in a smooth curve near the green guide line. I've also looked through the FAQs, but nothing there stands out as a possible culprit.

Any idea what the problem could be? Any other information I could provide to help debug or diagnose the issue?

[1] https://user-images.githubusercontent.co...65c114.png
#2 Gunther
If you are using Lightroom Classic 11, there was a transition to the new Masks feature. LRTimelapse tries to migrate everything automatically as explained in my video, but of course, sometimes the gradients / masks might break. Also you could have messed up the masks when editing, which I don't know.

In such cases I'd recommend to do a fresh start with "Metadata Initialize" and removing the sequence from Lightroom.
Then do a very simple edit. See if the holy grail wizard can help to ease the curve.
From your screenshot I see huge steps in Exposure. It's unlikely that the Holy Grail Wizard will be able to remove them completely, but you should deflinitely see a difference. The rest will then be smoothed by the Visual Deflicker.

Also please remember to set a reference area to the sky for such sequences (see delicker tutorial). Best do it before applying the HG Wizard.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 philipwalton
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I'm already doing all of the things you suggested and I still see the issue. A few key points I should have emphasized before:

* I'm not using any masks, so the masks feature in Lightroom Classic 11 shouldn't apply here (and these are new photos, so they were never migrated)
* During my timelapse I never adjusted the exposure by more than 1/3 stop. I'm not sure why LRTimelapse is showing them as "huge gaps", but as you can see from the grid view in my screenshot, the change is never more than 1/3 stop.
* I was already setting a reference area in the sky, the screenshot I uploaded was when I tried to download LRTimelapse 6 to see if that fixed the problem (and I didn't use a reference area), but I just tried again and using a reference area in v6 and it made no difference.

In my case when I run the deflicker step, there is almost 0 change in the pink line.

Would it be helpful if I uploaded my images (or a subset of them) and shared them with you to use as a test case? Or I could also upload a screencast of my workflow so you could see what I'm seeing?

I'm also happy to try any other debugging steps or create a reduced test case to help isolate the issue.
#4 philipwalton
Also (not sure if it's helpful), but every time I load LRTimelapse 5 I get a warning that I should download version 14.0.1 of Adobe DNG converter, but I already have version 14.1 automatically instead via my Creative Cloud subscription.

Could that version mismatch explain the difference?
#5 Gunther
Yes. Maybe you have 2 versions of Adobe DNG Converter installed (check info / log in LRTimelapse for the version that LRT is using). If you Creative Cloud installer installed the Converter to a non default place, you can change the location in the LRTimelapse settings / external tools.
It's crucial that LRTimelapse has access to the latest DNG Converter.
#6 philipwalton
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I was mistakenly confusing Adobe DNG Converter with Adobe Camera RAW, which is what I had version 14.1 of. Turns out I had version 12 of Adobe DNG Converter and updating to the latest version fixed the issue for me. Sorry for the false alarm!
#7 Gunther
Glad it works now!

...also check out: