• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Effects of Holy Grail Wizard too strong when doing day to night Milky Way timelapse

#1 birdleggs
LRTimelapse v. 5.8, Using QDSLR Dashboard to capture images.

What parameter(s) is the holy grail wizard using to adjust the brightness of the images? Is it only exposure? I need a good way to correct for the resulting overexposed images when using it to photograph day to night milky way photography.

The 1st photo shows a screenshot of a raw milky way image toward the end (nighttime) portion of my sequence and the resulting holy grail curve. I think that the exposure is actually acceptable at this point and a good place to start development. (Please disregard the spikes in the curve in the first quarter of the sequence as they are caused by lightning strikes and are a different problem altogether).

The second screenshot shows the overexposed result after loading into Light Room.

Does the Holy Grail Wizard only adjust the exposure, or does it adjust more than that? If it adjusts only the exposure, I can just re-adjust it in Light Room, but it seems to me that there may be something else I need to re-adjust to get it back.

Thanks,
Mike.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 birdleggs
Sorry, I am new to this forum and am having problems uploading the screenshots. They do not seem to appear in the post after I drag them into the box.
#3 Gunther
You need to use the rotate and stretch sliders in the holy grail wizard in order to bring the curve as close to the horizontal middle line as possible, otherwise you'll get bigger changes in Exposure. Everywhere the curve is above the middle line the images get brighter, below, darker.

Also, to remove those peaks from the curve, set a reference area to the sky (see deflicker tutorial) where the lights are not covered. Do this before applying the holy grail wizard.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 birdleggs
Thanks for the quick reply. I did try using both the stretch and rotate sliders, but I could only stretch it so much without the beginning of the curve being very distorted. Maybe the lightning strikes are causing the larger issue, as those corrections are very large and seem to be mostly unaffected by the stretch. I was able to upload the screenshots in my original post. So, is there something other than exposure that is adjusted by the Holy Grail Wizzard? Or, is there another parameter that I need to be aware of?

Thanks,
Mike.
#5 Gunther
Try the reference area, as I wrote above.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#6 birdleggs
Thank you again for the unbelievably quick response. I will try that.

...also check out: