• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Worse after Deflicker

#1 RFPhotog
Taking LR Timelapse for a spin to see what it's all about. I've got a sequence of images that has flicker from image to image.

I followed the recommended workflow. Colour corrected then saved the metadata to the files. Opened LR Timelapse, navigated to the folder and let LRT recongise the images. Once that was done, I chose my transition - linear and then checked Deflicker. Applied settings of about 14 for exposure and 37 for smoothing. Saved the data to the files.

I use Sony Vegas for compiling my videos. Back in LR, I read the metadata from the files then exported them to a new series for importing into Vegas. Compiled and rendered out the clip in Vegas, played it and the flicker is horrific. Worse than before applying the LRT deflicker filter.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

The two images attached are the screen grabs of the curves before and after deflickering.

#2 Gunther
Sorry for the late answer. I'm pretty busy moving at the time. From what you wrote it's difficult to tell, what mistake you made, usually the deflickering works very well.

I'm a bit irritated, that your first example ("before") already show a deflickered yellow curve - if you make several tries, please make sure to reset the exposure, otherwise you will mutliply the effect and that could lead to the effects you described. You can as well reset the Exposure values clicking with the right mousebutton on the tableheader on exposure and than "reset"...

Another hint: try starting with Exposure affect 10

Please let me know if it worked...

Kind regards
Gunther

Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 RFPhotog
(2011-04-05, 01:23)gwegner Wrote: Sorry for the late answer. I'm pretty busy moving at the time. From what you wrote it's difficult to tell, what mistake you made, usually the deflickering works very well.

I'm a bit irritated, that your first example ("before") already show a deflickered yellow curve - if you make several tries, please make sure to reset the exposure, otherwise you will mutliply the effect and that could lead to the effects you described. You can as well reset the Exposure values clicking with the right mousebutton on the tableheader on exposure and than "reset"...

Another hint: try starting with Exposure affect 10

Please let me know if it worked...

Kind regards
Gunther

Thanks, Gunther. I did make a couple tries but did reset the exposures back to original settings between. I'll try again and see what happens. I'd really like to be able to get it to work.
#4 RFPhotog
A question has come up in looking at the way LR Timelapse is displaying the images. The images are numbered sequentially (e.g., clip-1, clip-2, clip-3, etc). When looking at the images in LR Timelapse, the ordering is incorrect. The order is clip-1, clip-10, clip-100, clip-1000.... Will the deflicker process work properly in this case? If the software is comparing images sequentially then it should be comparing clip-1 to clip-2, clip-2 to clip-3, and so on.
#5 Gunther
You will have to rename your images to 001, 002, 003 or 0001, 0002, etc. for LRTimelapse to work correctly. I assume that that is exactly the problem why you get unexpected results.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: