LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Slide and rotation intervals for smooth timelapse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm pretty happy with my timelapse from static viewpoints and I have been doing some rotating and sliding timelapses (using a Syrp Slider and the Genie head).  Occasionally I find that sliding or rotating timelapses can have a  bit of stutter. I generally calculate the number of frames from the slide distance or angle of rotation, frame rate, final duration and total capture duration (usually 500 to 700 frames). 

Does anyone use a method to calculate the number of frames based on the slide distance or angle of rotation?  For example do you have a rule of frames per a cm slide or frames per degree of rotation to avoid stutter?  I guess that any rule would also depend upon the focal length (FOV) of the lens as telephoto lenses would need smaller increments than wide angle lenses?

Martin
I'm wondering too how you setup your gear. I'm using the genie mini but i didn't achieve a nice result with my panning settings.

Thanks for some tips and tricks
Hi Kaiokai,

Recently I also bought a Genie-mini. I seem to have some issues with it, like the images are not very clear and also there is some stuttering on the sequence. 
As the suggest (Syrp) I mounted my genie directly on to the tripod and then a ball-head with quick release, to mount the camera on, I am wondering if the  vibration on shutter release is transferring it to the sequence. I don't have this problem when I mount it just on the tripod and the ball head, obviously it is static. 
Have you managed to shoot a static time lapse using the genie?

kind regards,

Rodrigo
Hey Rodrigo

My fault was in the post process in lrtimelapse, but to achieve the best result with the genie mini you realy have to use a good tripod and hope to have not too much wind.

For static timelapse i use now a intervalometer, don't now why syrp didn't built this option in the software.
Would be a great update.

Have a good time shooting timelapse withe genie mini Smile

Kai
Hi Kai,

The problem was to do with Motion Blur Plus in the rendering dialog, it was switch/ticked on. Here is a link to the revised timelapse, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b66WUPaH...load_owner . As you can see it was a windy day but there is hardly any movement in it.

The software for the Genie-mini does have an intervalometer in it.

kind regards,

Rodrigo
Isn't it also true that when incorporating motion into timelapse, you should also render out the LRT video at 30 fps?  And then, if you're assembling a video sequence in Premiere or After Effects, you could reinterpret that footage down to say 23.976 (if that's what sequence settings are)?  I think I read someplace that this was a "best practice."  Anyone have thoughts on that?