LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: High MP vs Low Mp for timelapse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All

New to the forum here and been using Lrtimelapse since v3 and loving the software, the ultimate timelapse tool out there in my personal opinion.

I have scoured the internet and cant seem to find a decisive answer on a simple question so heres the scenario.

I have two full frame DSLR's a D600 and the legendary D700.

I've shot time-lapse with both and lean more toward the D700 mainly because that shutter can take a massive beating and most likely will outlast the D600, as well all know its much much better build (made in Japan ftw)

Also, the raw files only being 13/14 mb on average and sometimes 16mb (strangely when shooting astro).

Big raw files are a pain to work with and the D600 on average is near 30mb and yes i know its pretty much twice the resolution (12mp vs 24mp)

Now i know the D600 has a better dynamic range, not by much to be honest actually and the D700 actually clips specular highlights much later than the D600 so it tends to have a greater headroom for ETTR but has more shadow noise so i always try push it as far as i can.

Now back to the question, sorry for rambling but when exporting to 4k (3840 x 2160) what benefit would a 24mp sensor have over the 12mp sensor, since the above resolution is 8mp, 12mp gives you some headroom.

i cannot see a detailed difference when the sequence is downscaled to 4k on both DSLR's using the exact same glass (Tamron 15 - 30 btw)

Now i understand that with a 24mp you can do alot more zoom and panning because you have more resolution to play with but a slider gives a better effect anyway if you want the movement.

So my question is simple, i export the jpegs in 8bit, original resolution at a pre-cropped a 16:9 ratio and then render to 4k in Lrtimelapse (or original if i want to do further edits in premiere pro)

I would love to hear what you guys think, personally at 4k i cannot see any difference at all between these two DSLR's!

Cheers guys!
Alex.
If you don't need the dynamic range, go for the D700. The higher resolution is rather a disadvantage than an advantage, especially in terms of processing time.
Hey Gunther

Thank you so much

Exactly what i was thinking, theres not much between the D600 and D700 unless i drastically underexpose

I shoot here in Cape Town, i see you were once here timelapsing!

Thanks again and thanks for the brilliant software, using it for 2 years now and its amazing to see how it progressed

Cheers
Alex