LRTimelapse Forum
Incorrect Profile on RAW files when imported to LRC - Printable Version

+- LRTimelapse Forum (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com)
+-- Forum: LRTimelapse (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-lrtimelapse)
+--- Forum: LRTimelapse 7 - General Questions (https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-lrtimelapse-7-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Incorrect Profile on RAW files when imported to LRC (/Thread-incorrect-profile-on-raw-files-when-imported-to-lrc)

Pages: 1 2

Incorrect Profile on RAW files when imported to LRC - kcbauer - 2024-09-09

I've done two tests on this.

Shot a timelapse sequence. Olympus OM-1.

Imported using LRTiimelapse 7.1.0, Build 973.
Drag images to LRC. Filter to keyframes.

Click Develop. Profile is showing as Camera Standard and is a missing profile.
My import setup is to just use Adobe Default which should end up with a profile of Adobe Color.

See Attached image from Develop.

Mac OS 12.7.6. LRC 13.5.1

RE: Incorrect Profile on RAW files when imported to LRC - Gunther - 2024-09-09

Adobe Color is a bad profile for timelapse. I've explained this in the expert tips video #5: https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/expert
That's why LRTimelapse initializes the XMP data with "Camera Standard". For most cameras that profile is provided by adobe, obviously not for yours.
Please double check, if there is a specific profile mimicking the "Standard" Profile of your camera and set that manually on the first keyframe. During the workflow it will then be populated to the whole sequence.
Maybe I could an option in the future to define the default profile for initialization in the LRT Settings for users with cameras where Adobe doesn't provide a camera profile.

I'm moving this thread to "Feature requests".

RE: Incorrect Profile on RAW files when imported to LRC - kcbauer - 2024-09-10

OK. I don't care that Adobe Color is a bad profile for timelapse. I know all about profiles. The issue is it is setting it to "Camera Standard" and that is missing. I filter to keyframes, edit the first image and change the profile to "Camera Natural" which is a profile for the Olympus, OM-Systems cameras. Then when I use sync keyframes to the other images, the profile is NOT carried forward. It is still Camera Standard. This behavior is new in version 7. It never did that in versions 4, 5, and 6.

RE: Incorrect Profile on RAW files when imported to LRC - Gunther - 2024-09-10

I will check that. For now, use the native "Synchronize" in Lightroom to bring only the profile to all keyframes.

RE: Incorrect Profile on RAW files when imported to LRC - Gunther - 2024-09-10

I've double checked that, for me when using the LRT Sync script in Lightroom, any changed camera profile perfectly transfers. Are you sure you did use the Sync Script?

However, in the next beta of LRTimelapse I will add a feature that lets the user define a custom Camera Profile in the settings. This is useful for users like you with cameras which Adobe don't support with a "Camera Standard" profile.

For all of those with cameras where a "Camera Standard" exists, I strongly recommend to user that for timelapse because Adobes general "Adobe Color" profile is not a static profile, instead it adapts to the content of the images which might introduce weird contrast flicker with timelapses.

I am certain I used the LRT Sync Script, and it did not sync the Camera Profile.
Setting it to Camera Standard just seems like a bad idea. Yes, your expert tip showed a corner case where other profiles created problems, but in many cases, the profile does not create a problem. I'd rather have control via the LR preferences to use the profile I want. If I set that to Camera Settings, then I get what I used in camera.

I just downloaded a few sample RAW files from various camera manufacturers to see who supports a profile called "Camera Standard"

Sony - Yes
Pentax - No
Fuji - No
Panasonic - Yes
Nikon - Yes
Leica - No
OM Systems - No

So of those 7 brands, only 3 have a "Camera Standard" matching profile in LR. The other 4 end up with a missing profile.

I'm glad to hear you will have an option to set a Profile. I think it would be far easier and far more flexible to just let LR import using the settings the user has and not hard code some a profile that is missing for more than half of the major camera brands.

Guess I skipped Canon that does have a Camera Standard, so that makes it 50% do and 50% don't from my sample.

RE: Incorrect Profile on RAW files when imported to LRC - Gunther - 2024-09-11

Market share of those cameras that are directly supported with a Camera Profile is way higher than 50%.
Sony, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic make the the vast majority of all cameras, at least 85%, and this is only for mirrorless: https://photorumors.com/2024/08/19/the-latest-bcn-mirrorless-market-share-sale-rankings-data/

As I said, I will give you an option to set a custom profile in the next beta.

RE: Incorrect Profile on RAW files when imported to LRC - Gunther - 2024-09-15

Check out 7.2 beta 1 where I implemented the following:
  • Feature: On initialization, LRTimelapse will now by default omit setting the camera profile to "Camera Standard" for Raw files of Cameras for which Adobe doesn't provide such a profile.
  • Feature: Added Setting to define a Custom Camera Profile to Settings/Color Management. This allows to override the Camera Profile that LRTimelapse sets on initialization. Note that the best results for timelapse are usually achieved with the default "Camera Standard" profile which Adobe provides for Nikon, Canon, Sony and Panasonic.

https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-lrtimelapse-7-2-beta-1

The changes in profile handling will happen for new sequence or when doing "Metadata / Initialize"

Let me know!

RE: Incorrect Profile on RAW files when imported to LRC - kcbauer - 2024-09-15

This version solves the problem. I did a few tests and disabling the default profile in Settings / Color Management now sets the profile to Adobe Standard. That's better than it was since Camera Standard isn't a universal profile. I set it to my desired Camera Profile, and all worked fine.

The installer also failed when letting LRTimelapse launch it. Both machines showed an Error Dialog box that said LRTimelapse could not launch the installer and to run it manually. The installer was already mounted and could be run manually. Just thought you should know about that issue.