• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

List of Android Phones & Tablets that Work well with dDSLRDashboard

#1 nagias
qDSLRDashboard is a great program especially with the LRTimelapse component. However it has been quite frustrating getting the app working well on my devices. I currently have a couple of android phones that work well over WiFi (on Nikon D850). However, only one of them works via a USB OTG cable. I have tried different OTG cables and also tried changing the USB settings suggested by Hubaiz on my LG G6 but to no avail. I then purchased a cheap android tablet on Amazon (HAOQIN H7 Tablet 7 Inch Android 9.0 Tablet) which works fine over WiFi. However, it also will not connect via USB.

Given the multitude of android OS versions and phones/tablets variants out there it is not surprising that some of these issues are arising. Overall, it appears that the WiFi connection works pretty well but the USB connectivity is more finicky. It would therefore be very helpful to create a list of devices that work well with qDSLR especially via the USB route.

Based on checking older posts in the forum it appears that the following devices have worked well
1. Nexus 7 (2013)
2. Galaxy Tab 3 (but not Tab 4)

the two phones I have evaluated are
1. Alcatel TF A502DL (works fine both via WiFi and USB)
2. LG G6 (works fine via WiFi, but app would crash via USB. Surprising, qDSLRDashboard has starting working after installing an OTG checker app on the phone)

Appreciate any input others may have on what specific models have worked. Cameras to be connected via USB are Nikon D800 and D810. Thanks.
#2 harrystranger
I use an Oppo A57 with my Nikon D5300 and it works well over OTG and WiFi. I have a few issues now and again but it's usually fixed through turning the OTG connection off and on again.

I plan on upgrading my phone sometime soon, so I will keep you updated Smile
#3 Gunther
Huawei P20 Pro with a simple USB-C to USB-C cable works on Nikon Z-Cameras. No special OTG adapter needed.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 nagias
Thanks Harrystranger and Gunther.

So, it appears that no new inexpensive tablets appear to have been utilized in USB mode. I guess, I will look into picking up a used Nexus or Galaxy Tab.
#5 bspeaks
As I sometimes use several devices and a couple of cameras with QdslrDashboard, I created a small spreadsheet listing the combinations of devices and settings I have found that work with QDD via a USB camera connection. One thing I have noticed with my Canon cameras is the firmware version affects the operation. So if you are having difficulty using QDD, you might want to check out your version.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e...yr/pubhtml

Gunther, let me know if it is ok to link to Google Sheets. If not I can delete the post and type in the information directly.
Bill
#6 Gunther
Sure, thanks for sharing your insights.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#7 Cymro
Canon 5D Mk2 and Canon 7D Mk2 using Galaxy Tab A and iPad Air 2, both connected by wifi via MR3020 both work well.

...also check out: