• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Overheating upon rendering video

#1 lesgyug
My CPU overheats when rendering a video from the intermediary exported jpgs. The Ryzen 2700 is 8-core and 16 thread, but it just can't handle 100% of all 16 threads being used at once to render a video. It gets to about frame 300 or 400 and then gets way too hot. Within the LR Timelapse program there are settings for the internal operations for reducing the numbers of threads used, which I have to use to stop my CPU from overheating (it hits about 109 C and then shuts down). While I could obviously find a better cooler for the CPU, that is not an immediate solution, and I am not sure I could fit a water cooler into my particular case.

Is there a way, or can there be a way, to reduce the number of threads used when rendering a video from the jpgs? (just like for the operations within the program).

Thanks
#2 mopperle
TBH, I never heard of something like in combination with LRT.
IMHO you have really a problem with your hardware setup. There are several reasons for overheating you should check:
- CPU totally overclocked
- the cooler is not correctly mounted on the CPU
- dirt and dust on the fans
I‘m using a highend notebook and running the CPU on full load, it does not shut down due to overheating. Sometimes it only throttles the CPU down a bit.
Gruß/regards

Otto
#3 Gunther
Definitely: with a computer that is correctly configured and healthy, no Software can make it overheat. If it does, you need to check your configuration.
You can lower the parallel processes in LRTimelapse (Settings / Expert Settings). But this wont prevent other software like Lightroom or the Video encoder to put stress on your CPU.
I'd really recommend checking your hardware.
First thing would be to open the case and remove any dust that might block air circulation.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 lesgyug
Thanks, you were both correct. The Ryzen 2700 can't be overclocked, and I had never touched any BIOS settings, so I knew that wasn't the problem.
Dust had clogged the 3 intake fans. My previous cases were all towers with easily cleanable dust filters, which I cleaned every few months. But for the last 3 years I've been using a micro-ATX case where I have to remove case, hard drives and optical drive to pull the fans out to clean them, so hadn't done it for 3 years. After cleaning, running all the cores at 100% now maxes out the CPU temperature at 84 C, so everything is good.
Thanks again for your prompt replies and patience.
#5 Gunther
Yeah, that happens more often than people would think! :-)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: